Homebreadcrumb separatorHousingbreadcrumb separatorFinding a home

Finding a home



How to Rent a Safe Home:

The government in July 2018 produced a new handy FREE guide for tenants. We encourage all tenants to read through this before renting a house or flat.

You can find information here pdf.(1.41MB) about renting a safe home


Housing and homelessness advice

We offer support and help whether you're homeless or worried about becoming homeless.

From 3 April 2018, the Homelessness Reduction Act 2017 came into force. The act puts a legal duty on councils to offer more support to a wider range of people who are homeless or threatened with homelessness - and to intervene earlier.

The Act will require a change to the way the council delivers its homeless support and advice services.

From 3 April, new legal duties mean the council must:  

  • provide advice and carry out prevention work, so that where possible, people can be supported to remain in their current home;
  • offer everyone who is homeless or at risk of homelessness access to meaningful help, irrespective of their priority need status, as long as they are eligible for assistance; and,
  • carry out prevention and relief work for anyone threatened with homelessness within 56 days (up from the current 28 days)

If you require any housing advice or assistance, please visit us at the Civic Centre, Darwall Street, WS1 1TP, between the hours of 8.45am to 5.15pm Mon to Thurs and 8.45am to 4.45pm on Fridays.  Alternatively contact us on:

01922 652250 or Housing&welfaresupport@walsall.gov.uk  



Social Housing
Walsall Council has no housing of its own to rent but there are lots of housing associations (Social Housing providers) in the borough. Check out the Access to Housing booklet it tells you about:
Housing Associations (Social Housing) in the area and where they have properties
How to contact them
How to make an application for housing
The type of accommodation housing associations have
Let's Swap
Looking for a mutual exchange? You need to contact your social landlord if you want a mutual exchange. If you are a WHG tenant then you need to use Homeswapper
Useful documents
Contact us
If you need information please contact:
Homeless and Housing Advice Service
Walsall Council
The Civic Centre
Darwall Street

Telephone 01922 653405
Out of hours emergencies 01922 650000
Email housingadvice@walsall.gov.uk