This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it.

Private rented accommodation

If you are homeless or at risk of being homeless, a private let can be the quickest way to find a new home.

We can help you find accommodation in the private sector. We can also help you with a deposit for your new home.

Financial help

We may be able to assist you financially to secure a private property in the following ways:

Universal Credit

You can get help paying for your housing if you’re eligible for Universal Credit. This is called your housing payment. Universal Credit is a payment to help with your living costs. It’s paid monthly.

You can apply for Universal Credit to help with housing costs if both apply:

  • you live in supported or sheltered housing
  • you’re not getting care, support or supervision through your housing

Housing Benefit

You cannot get Universal Credit to help with housing costs if any of the following apply:

  • you’re living in supported or sheltered housing (such as a hostel) which provides you with care, support or supervision
  • you’re living in temporary accommodation, such as a B&B arranged by your council
  • you’re living in a refuge for survivors of domestic abuse

Apply for Housing Benefit instead.

Other help with housing costs

You can apply for help with financial difficulties from your main Universal Credit payment. You might also be able to get council tax reduction (CTR).

We may be able to help you with your rent and other housing costs, for example a rent deposit or moving costs. This is called a discretionary housing payment (DHP).

Advice for tenants

The government has produced a model tenancy agreement for private rented accommodation. It offers advice and guidance on:

  • what you can expect from your landlord
  • your rights
  • housing regulations
  • the eviction process

Rate this page