Coronavirus: Latest information and advice 

Homebreadcrumb separatorBenefits


Online service unavailable over the weekend

Online viewing services for council tax and Housing Benefit will be unavailable from 12pm Friday 26 February until 12pm Monday 1 March 2021 for a planned system update. 
You will not be able to:

  • view your council tax bill or your benefit entitlement online
  • make an online application for Housing Benefit or council tax reduction
  • report a change in your circumstances

You will still be able to make payments online. 

Our 24-hour payment line is available for council tax: 0300 5552852

Email: or

We apologise for any inconvenience. No other services will be affected by the update.

Support for residents impacted by the coronavirus (COVID -19) can be found on Coronavirus (COVID - 19) help and support for Walsall residents. Information about the Test and Trace Support Scheme is also available on this page


Since the 14 November 2018, Walsall has been a full service Universal Credit area.  Universal Credit replaces a number of previously available benefits. Income Support, Income Based Job Seekers Allowance, Child Tax Credit, Working Tax Credit, Income Related Employment Support Allowance and Housing Benefit have all been replaced with a single monthly payment of Universal Credit. 

This means that anyone who wishes to make a new claim for help with rental costs will need to make a claim for Universal Credit unless you fall into one of the current exempt categories.

The exempt categories are –

  • People in specified supported accommodation
  • People in council provided temporary homeless accommodation
  • People who have reached the qualifying age for state Pension Credit
  • People who receive a Severe Disability Premium in an existing benefit

It’s important that you claim the right benefit as any delay may result in a loss of entitlement and the risk of arrears with your landlord.  To find out more about Universal Credit and to make an online claim please go to the Universal Credit Webpage.

If you feel you are in an exempt category and you wish to make a claim for Housing Benefit the quickest and easiest way to do this is using our online form. More details can be found on our Benefits Online page, here you will also find details about how you can sign up to view your benefit entitlement letters online. Alternatively you can contact us to request an application form.

Universal Credit does not give assistance with Council Tax.  If you are on a low income or in receipt of Universal Credit you should still make a claim for help with your Council Tax with Walsall Council, to find out more about our current Council Tax Reduction scheme, make an online claim, or request a claim form please visit our Council Tax Reduction page

You can upload evidence and also report changes in your circumstances online (your file name will need to be 8 characters or less) please visit the Housing Benefit and Council Tax Reduction page to use our online facility to report changes and provide information we may have requested from you for your Housing benefit and/or Council Tax Reduction.


Free School Meals

You may qualify for free school meals and extra funding for your school.  Free school meals are available to all pupils in maintained schools, academies and free schools.  To find out more information, see if you are eligible or to make a claim online please visit our free school meals page.