This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it.

Building your own home

If you want to build your own home, you'll need to join our self and custom build register. The register helps us to identify enough suitable land to meet demand for plots.


Building your own home - known as self build or custom build - can be carried out by:

  • an individual who purchases a plot of land and builds themself a home to live in, or employs others to build part or all of the home and to oversee construction
  • a group (referred to as an association) who come together to build themselves homes to live in, or employ others to build and to oversee construction
  • a developer who divides the site into plots and provides a design and build service to individual purchasers, who have the ability to influence the individual house design

Each individual applicant, and every member of an association of individuals, that applies for entry on the register must be:

  • aged 18 or older
  • a British citizen, a national of a EEA State other than the United Kingdom, or a national of Switzerland, and
  • seeking (either alone or with others) to acquire a serviced plot of land in the relevant authority’s area to build a house to occupy as that individual’s sole or main residence.

The Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act 2015

This Act requires us keep a register of eligible individuals and groups (associations) who wish to build or complete homes for themselves to occupy as their main residence.

Find out more about the Self-build and Custom Housebuilding Act.

How to register

If you are thinking of undertaking a self or custom build project as an individual or as part of a group, please fill in the form below: