This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it.

Apply to temporarily close a public right of way (PROW)

If you're a statutory undertaker, developer, landowner or householder, you can ask us to close or divert a PROW for up to six months. This could be if you need to undertake construction or repairs. To do this, you'll need to apply for a temporary traffic regulation order (TRO).

When to apply

We will need to receive your application at least 5 weeks before you intend to start works.

Evidence you'll need

Your application must include:

  • a plan showing the location of the work
  • a diversion plan
  • method statement

Make sure you complete the form in full. Your application may be delayed if you don’t provide all the information we need.

You can contact us if you have enquiries or need help with your application. Return your completed application form to the public rights of way team.

The application applies to the temporary closure of PROW only. For a closure of any adopted highway, you will need to apply for a temporary TRO by contacting our Traffic Management team. You may also need to contact the NRSWA team for a roadworks permit

Download list


You will need to pay a fee of £826.87 before we can process your application. Different fees and timescales may apply to emergency works.

You can pay by purchase order or cheque (payable to Walsall Council). Send your payment to us by post.