Check whether you should be tested for the South African variant
Check your postcode
You can find further information about Walsall's COVID variant testing on our FAQ page.
FAQs: COVID-19 variant testing in Walsall
National lockdown – Stay Home
The government has announced a period of national lockdown from 5 January 2020. The following restrictions are in place until further notice:
- You must not leave, or be outside of your home except to shop for food, for work, for medical reasons or to avoid injury, illness or risk of harm (including domestic abuse)
- You cannot leave your home to meet socially with anyone you do not live with or are not in a support bubble with (if you are legally permitted to form one)
- You may leave the home to exercise once a day in a public outdoor place on your own, with one other person, or with your household or support bubble
- Do not travel unless necessary, such as for work or education purposes. If you need to travel you should stay local—avoiding travelling outside of your village or town—and look to reduce the number of journeys you make
- You must work from home if you can
- Hospitality is closed with the exception of providing takeaway (until 11pm), click-and-collect, drive-through or delivery
- Non-essential retail and personal care services (hairdressers, barbers, salons) are closed
- Places of worship are open for services only but you must not interact with any person outside your household or support bubble.
GOV.UK: What you can/can't do under during national lockdown restrictions
What do you need?
For all the latest COVID-19 news and updates from Walsall Council.
Information about changes and disruption to council services, how you can volunteer to help, protecting your health and wellbeing, consumer protection, information for schools, national guidance information and updates from Public Health Walsall, social distancing guidance and other useful links.
Help for residents, including financial help and support, how to access community volunteer support, information about external funding grants available for Walsall groups and individuals, information for employees and self employed, support for vulnerable residents, children and families and health and wellbeing.
Information about advice and support available to businesses and employers, external funding grants available for Walsall groups and individuals, trading standards and business and venue restrictions guidelines, information for licenced traders, and information for care providers.
For translated national coronavirus (COVID-19) guidance as well as to guidance in alternative formats produced by Public Health England, including easy read, large print, British Sign Language and audio.
We're working with partners across the borough including the NHS, Public Health England and other public sector organisations to plan our response and make sure our residents are well informed.
You should follow the NHS and Public Health England guidance if you have any concerns about COVID-19. You can also read answers to some of the most commonly asked questions on the NHS website.
The information on this page is based on the best available information Walsall Council has received from central government and from scientific and health experts. As we are dealing with an ever evolving situation things may change rapidly. We would ask the public to keep checking for information updates as and when they are published.