This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it.

Taxi and private hire

Please send all enquiries via email to and a member of the licensing team will aim to respond within 10 working days.

Register for licensed Hackney carriage and private hire drivers

Download list

HMRC - Changes that will affect Hackney carriage and private hire drivers and proprietors

The rules are changing if you’re an individual, company or any type of partnership applying for a licence for a:

  • taxi driver
  • private hire driver
  • private hire vehicle operator

If you make an application on or after 4 April 2022 you’ll need to complete a tax check if you’re:

  • renewing a licence
  • applying for the same type of licence you previously held, that ceased being valid less than a year ago
  • applying for the same type of licence you already hold with another licensing authority

You must carry out the tax check yourself. You cannot ask a tax agent or adviser to do this on your behalf. The tax check will ask questions about how you pay any tax that may be due on income you earn from your licensed trade.

After you have completed the tax check you will be given a 9-character tax check code. You will need to give the code on your application to the licensing authority, so they can confirm you have carried out a tax check.

You will not be granted a licence if you do not give a tax check code to your licensing authority.

What you should do before April 2022

Get a Government Gateway user ID and password. You will this to complete a tax check, so you should make sure you have one before you need to make your licence application. If you do not have a user ID, you can create one by registering for HMRC online services.

Check your HMRC records are up to date. You can check your details are up to date when you get a Government Gateway user ID, or by signing in to HMRC Online Services. If your details need updating, you can tell us about a change to your:

Find out if you must pay tax on your earnings from your licensed trade if you’re not already registered with HMRC

Check if you:

If you only pay tax through PAYE you do not need to check your records.

MOT depot

Our MOT depot is open for MOT appointments as normal (Opening times may vary during bank holidays). You must contact the garage at least four weeks before your plate expires. 

EU Settlement Scheme

If you’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, you and your family can apply to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. You can also apply if you’re the family member of an eligible person of Northern Ireland. Find out about applying for settled status on

The Immigration Act 2016 was implemented on 1 December 2016 to prevent illegal working in the Hackney Carriage and Private Hire sectors. It places a duty on local authorities to refuse to grant or renew a licence if the applicant cannot present documentation proving their right to work in the UK. 

All applicants must prove their right to work in the UK. The government have published a list of acceptable documentation proving a right to work in the UK.

Find out more about proving your right to work to an employer on

COVID-19 advice

The government has published advice specific to taxi and private hire.

You can also find general information on COVID-19 and precautions you should take on

Online applications and online payments

The facility to make online New Vehicle Applications and Renewal Applications is available. It is very important that you allow enough time for licensing service to process your application, and bearing in mind that staff numbers working in the office are severely reduced. Incomplete applications will result in a delay in being processed. Please ensure when submitting your vehicle application all appropriate documents are uploaded and submitted with the application (Please refer to your licence conditions for documents required). You must return your expired plates and identifications to us by posting it through one of the external letterboxes at the front and rear of the Municipal Offices .

Taxi and Private Hire

Hackney carriages and private hire vehicles play an important part in the provision of an integrated public transport system in Walsall.  It is the council's vision and opinion that a common standard should apply both in the vehicles that are licensed and to all the drivers who operate them.  This should be regardless of the frequency or level of participation.  Vehicles should be presented in a professional manner and customers have a pleasant experience.  The council advocates that best practice should be adopted as the norm.

By law a licence must be obtained before a hackney carriage or private hire vehicle can be used for business.  These are issued by the Taxi Licensing Unit, who have three main aims:

  • provide our customers with the assistance and guidance they require to deliver an excellent service to the public.
  • improve the quality of the hackney carriage and private hire service.
  • protect public safety.

These aims form the basis upon which we make our decisions when licensing the vehicles.

All hackney carriage and private hire drivers must have a taxi drivers licence before they can operate.

All hackney carriages and private hire vehicles must also have a vehicle licence before they can be used as a taxi.  A private hire service is run by an operator who takes bookings from customers and passes them on to a licensed driver and vehicle within the area they are licensed to operate.  Private hire vehicles must always be pre-booked.  The operator must have a private hire operators licence.

Other useful contacts

The following contacts may be useful for hackney carriage / private hire drivers and private hire operators:

Contact us

Address: Taxi Licensing Unit, Walsall Council, Civic Centre, Darwall Street, Walsall, WS1 1TP


Please allow 5 working days for response to any enquiries.