Apply for a private hire operator's licence
A private hire operator is someone who takes bookings for private hire vehicles.
One person can be granted a private hire operator's licence, and can then employ or subcontract any number of licensed vehicles.
To grant a private hire operator's licence, we must be certain that:
- the licensing conditions will be met
- the address where the operation is based is suitable for such an activity
- the licence holder is fit and proper
A licensed private hire driver is not allowed to accept bookings unless they hold an operator licence or work for a licensed private hire operator.
As the operator of a private hire base, you are personally responsible for complying with the conditions of the licence.
You are also responsible for:
- the day to day management of the business
- any activities undertaken by drivers and proprietors working via your business
Before applying, read the private hire and hackney carriage information and licence conditions and conviction guidelines.
Private Hire And Hackney Carriage Information And Licence ConditionsDownload PDF (305.2 KB)
Apply for an operator's licence
To apply for a private hire operator's licence, download the application form. Complete your form and send it to us by email.
Application for a licence to operate private hire vehicleDownload PDF (513.52 KB)
You will need the following documents to support your application:
- completed private hire operator's application form
- a recent passport style photo of yourself and the nominated managers. These are staff who help run your business.
- a basic Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) disclosure (if this is a new application and you are not already a Walsall Council licensed driver)
- valid public liability insurance (for a minimum of £5 million)
- a valid radio communications licence (if you will be using radio communications)
- right to work documentation for yourself and any other owner/director
You may also need to provide proof of planning permission.
Pay your fee
What happens next
It can take up to 2 months for your licence to be issued.
You will receive an email before your licence needs to be renewed. You will receive all the relevant forms and information to renew your licence.
What happens if I don't have a licence
By law, you must have a licence and we can take action against Hackney carriage or private hire drivers who breach regulations. Unlicensed drivers or vehicles can be reported. Find out more about taxi and private hire licensing enforcement.
How to change your licence
Contact us if you wish to make any changes or need help.