How to get social support
Initial Response Team
The Initial Response Team is the first contact point for social care. We handle requests for information and support, and can direct you to the correct service or team.
Who we support
We can support you if you:
- are aged 18 years or over
- have a physical disability, learning disability or mental health issue
We can also support you if you are a carer for someone who fits the above description.
We also support young people with a disability or mental health issue through the transition into adulthood. This means we work with education and children’s services.
We have a duty to assess young carers below the age of 18 years. This also requires us to work with children’s services.
Ways we can support you
Some of the things we can do to help include:
- giving you information about support and services available to you
- assessing you for care
- finding you a carer
- giving you advice on welfare benefits, and helping you with managing your money
- exploring our preventative services and ‘targeted interventions’ with you
- providing you with equipment and home support for up to six weeks, and help to be safe and complete daily tasks
If we assess you as eligible for social care, we can work with you to agree a care and support plan. This gives you some choice in the help you need to live independently.
Walsall Community Living Directory
This is a directory of health and social care support, both national and community based. Explore the Walsall Community Living Directory on its website.
Call 999 or go to A&E now if:
- there is immediate danger to someone's life
- you do not feel that you or someone else are safe.
We offer support out of office hours for emergencies relating to care. Contact us for help in an emergency out of office hours.
You should contact your GP for non-emergency health care. If you have an issue out of hours, they will have a recorded message telling you what to do.You can also use 111 Online. If you are deaf or hard of hearing you can view alternative ways to contact 111.