The Willenhall Framework Plan sets out a 10-year vision and delivery strategy for future housing growth and development of Willenhall.
Willenhall will grow into a vibrant, connected and welcoming town with a strong sense of place which celebrates its diverse communities and promotes safe, healthy and active lifestyles. Quality design and sustainable construction will move Willenhall towards a healthy, prosperous and sustainable future.
In delivering the vision, Willenhall will:
- provide a range of high quality, energy efficient, attractive new homes providing housing choice across a full affordability range
- provide access to opportunities for the people of Willenhall connected to the wider region through the new Willenhall train station
- maximise the benefit from the economic growth and investment across the West Midlands
- create a healthy and high-quality living environment where residents are easily able to walk and cycle
- benefit from high quality, green and active public spaces and links which will better connect the Memorial Park to the town centre and the greenway to create an attractive environment for residents and visitors
- be a greener town, which will enhance the opportunity for family play, safe social gathering and physical activity built around a series of linked character areas and public spaces
- be a healthy town with a range of schools, health care and community services.
The framework identifies four areas of opportunity:
- Moat Street / Villiers Street
- Pinson Road
- Station Gateway
- North Willenhall
The development of these areas is proposed to incorporate new housing as well as green space, community facilities and improved walking and cycle routes.
Delivery of the areas of opportunity will require a phased programme of land and property acquisitions over a medium-long term period. At this stage, Moat Street / Villiers Street has been identified as the Phase 1 intervention.
The boundaries of these areas outlined in the framework plan are indicative and may change as a result of additional detailed work. The Council will engage with owners and stakeholders in these areas before final decisions are taken.
- Walsall Council’s Cabinet decision to support the Willenhall Framework Plan at their meeting on 9 February 2022
- Further work to develop the Willenhall Framework Plan into a Supplementary Planning Document
- Progressing the delivery of Phase 1 comprising the Moat Street/Villiers Street site by:
- acquiring land by agreement or CPO if required
- refining the draft Business Charter setting out the Council’s commitment to support existing businesses that may be impacted by any development proposals in Phase 1
- preparing and submitting an outline planning application
- procuring a developer partner and securing additional public sector funding