This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it.

Carer's assessments

People who provide care are sometimes in full time work and juggling responsibilities at home. You may find that caring is having a big impact on your wellbeing and everyday duties.

All carers need support, and you might not be aware of what kind of help is available. A carer's assessment can help you find advice, support and information.

What is a carer's assessment?

A carer's assessment is a free service. It's open to anyone over the age of 18 who wants to find out what support is available. You can get assessed even if the person you care for is not supported by a Walsall Council service or known by Adult Social Care.

Carer's assessments are separate to a needs assessment, but you can ask to have it done at the same time as the person you care for if you want. You do not need to live with the person you're looking after, or care for them full time.

What happens during a carer's assessment?

During a carer's assessment, we will ask a range of questions. These include asking if caring affects your ability to:

  • carry out responsibilities you have for a child
  • look after another adult outside your caring role
  • maintain your home and garden
  • attend appointments
  • shop and prepare nutritional meals for yourself

We will also ask if you:

  • feel able to develop and maintain family or other personal relationships
  • struggle to engage in work, training, education or volunteering
  • are able to access facilities in the local community, such as leisure centres, shops, post offices and pharmacies
  • have time to yourself to do the things that are important to you, like social activities, keeping fit, hobbies and personal development
  • find your health and wellbeing is being affected by your caring role

After the assessment, we'll be able to give you can idea of what help is available to you. It could be:

  • advice about benefits
  • receiving a one off payment
  • help with household chores and day-to-day tasks
  • access to replacement care so you can take a break

How do I get a carer's assessment?

You can apply for an assessment by contacting Walsall Adult Social Care team

External agencies and other Walsall services

For further advice and or information, you can contact Walsall Adult Social Care or Walsall Carers Hub. You can also access support from our external partners and agencies, as well as the Walsall Wellbeing Directory.

Rate this page