This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it.

Council tax rebate for properties in bands A-D

The government has announced a new fund to help with increased home energy costs. This will be a £150 rebate for eligible households.

Find out if you are eligible

To be eligible:

  • you must be the liable person for council tax
  • the property must be in band A-D inclusive
  • the property must be your main home as of 1 April 2022

If your property is in band E and you are eligible for a disablement banding reduction, then you will also get the £150 payment.

You can check your council tax band online.

Properties are not eligible if they are:

  • second homes
  • houses of multiple occupation (HMO)
  • unoccupied

Getting your payment

The payments are non-taxable income. They will be disregarded as income in the calculation of any benefit entitlement.

If you pay your council tax by Direct Debit 

We've already sent payments to most residents who pay by Direct Debit.

If you have changed the way you pay your council tax since April 2022 to Direct Debit, you'll get your payment automatically about one week after we collect your Direct Debit. We'll make the payment by BACS. It will appear in your bank account after 3 working days.

If the bank account details do not match the council tax bill payer, follow the non-Direct Debit process below. We'll send you a letter to advise you to make a claim separately.

If you don’t pay your council tax by Direct Debit

You can choose to have your payment paid into to your bank account, or you can receive it as a reduction in your council tax. 

On average it takes 14 days for the rebate to reach bank accounts.

You can apply now. We'll ask you to provide information to confirm your identity as part of the application process. This is just to prevent fraud. It is in line with the checks and processes used by the government.

Apply online to get your bank account credited

Apply online to get your council tax account credited

What happens if you don’t apply

No eligible household will miss out on receiving the rebate. If you do not apply it will be transferred to your council tax account. This will happen in September.

If you pay by Direct Debit your last instalment for the year will be automatically adjusted.

If you pay by another method you can adjust your October/November instalment by £150.00 to pay less.

If you have already paid for this year the payment will show as a credit on next year’s bill.

Help to complete your form

You can get in touch with any of these organisations if you need help completing your form:

Changes in circumstances

The effective date for the council tax rebate is 1 April 2022. If there's a change to the council tax band of your home after this date, this will not be taken into consideration.

The exception to this is newly-built homes awaiting a valuation band. We can make a payment if:

  • the effective date is 1 April 2022 or before, and
  • you meet the eligibility criteria

Discretionary fund for non-eligible households

The government is providing funding for us to operate a discretionary fund for households in need who are not eligible for the council tax rebate.

Walsall Council’s discretionary scheme

How and when you’ll receive your payment in schemes 1 and 2 is the same as above:

Scheme 1

You will receive £150 if:

  • your property is in Band E – H, and
  • you are in receipt of Council Tax Reduction (CTR)

Apply online to get your bank account credited - scheme 1

Apply online to get your council tax account credited - scheme 1

Scheme 2

This operates in the same way as the core scheme described above. 

You don't need to apply separately. You will automatically receive a £35 top up award if:

  • your property is in Band A – D, and
  • you are in receipt of maximum Council Tax Reductions (100% award for pensioners; 75% award for working age people)

Scheme 3

You could receive up to £150 if:

  • your property is in Bands E – H properties, and
  • you are not in receipt of Council Tax Reduction, and
  • you are able to demonstrate financial hardship

Apply online to get your bank account credited - scheme 3

Apply online to get your council tax account credited - scheme 3

Scheme 4

You could receive up to £150 if:

  • you’re a resident of property classed as a House in Multiple Occupation (HMO) for council tax purposes, and
  • you are directly billed for energy costs

Apply online - scheme 4

Find out more

You can find out more about the payment on the government's website or download their energy bills rebate factsheet.

If you have any questions, you can contact us by email or phone our energy rebate line.