This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it.

Council tax discounts, reductions and exemptions

You may be able to get a discount, reduction or exemption on your council tax bill. This depends on your circumstances, the status of the property you live in and the people you live with.

You can apply for some council tax discounts using council tax online.

People who aren't counted

Your council tax bill is based on two adults living in a property. Some people aren't counted, which reduces the number of residents for tax purposes.

For example, if there are 2 adults living in a property, but 1 of them is a full-time student, the number of residents for council tax purposes is 1, and the non-student would qualify for a discount of 25%.

The following types of resident are not counted for tax purposes:

  • full time students, student nurses, apprentices and youth training trainees, non-British spouses of students
  • patients resident in a hospital
  • people being looked after in care homes
  • people who are severely mentally impaired
  • people who are staying in certain hostels and night shelters
  • 18 and 19 year-olds who are at, or have just left, school
  • care workers working for low pay, usually for charities
  • people who are caring for someone with a disability who is not a spouse, partner or child under 18
  • members of visiting forces and certain international institutions
  • members of religious communities (for example, monks and nuns)
  • people who are in prison (except those in prison for non-payment of council tax or a fine)
  • diplomats

Single occupancy discount

If only 1 adult lives in a property as their sole or main residence, the council tax bill is reduced by 25%.

Apply for or cancel your single occupancy discount.

Student discount

You can apply for a reduction if you're a student or have a student living with you.

Discounts for people with a mental impairment

You can apply for a reduction if you're severely mentally impaired, or you have someone living with you who is.

Care leaver discount

There is a 100% discount for people who leave care in Walsall, if:

  • Walsall Council was the corporate parent
  • the care leaver is liable for council tax and resident in the Walsall area
  • the care leaver is under the age of 25

Occupied properties that are exempt

If a dwelling meets any of the following criteria, it does not incur council tax:

  • students’ halls of residence
  • only occupied by students
  • UK armed forces accommodation
  • visiting forces accommodation
  • occupied only by people under 18
  • occupied only by a person or persons who is/are severely mentally impaired and who would otherwise have to pay council tax
  • occupied by a diplomat
  • an annexe to another occupied dwelling which is occupied by an elderly or disabled relative

Empty and vacant properties

There is no council tax reduction for empty or vacant properties.

There are circumstances where empty or vacant properties may be exempt from council tax, or may incur an additional empty homes premium. You can find out more in our empty properties and council tax section.