About the HAF programme
What is the Holiday Activity and Food programme (HAF)?
HAF is a free programme for children and young people. It runs over Easter, Summer and Christmas school holidays. Your child is eligible if they are:
- aged 5 to 16
- eligible for benefit-related free school meals
The Department for Education (DfE) funds the HAF programme.
We work with providers to develop an exciting and enriching programme of activities. These include schools, local voluntary and community groups, childcare providers and local businesses.
We want children who attend this provision to:
- eat healthily over the school holidays
- be active during the school holidays - take part in activities which support their development and wider educational attainment
- be safe and not to be socially isolated
- have a greater knowledge of health and nutrition
- be more engaged with school and other local services
We also want to ensure that the families who take part in this programme:
- develop their understanding of nutrition and food budgeting
- are signposted towards other information and support, for example, health, employment, and education