This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it.

Payments and charges

The current policy will be revised following public consultation in 2022.

Download our charging policy 2017 (pdf)

Will I have to pay?

Some people will be entitled to free services. Some people will be asked to pay a weekly charge towards the cost of their care. You will have an assessment to work out how much you can afford to pay towards the cost of your care. 

The government says you don’t have to pay if:

  • you suffer from Creuzfeldt Jacob Disease (CJD)
  • you are subject to Section 117 of the Mental Health Act 1983
  • you are under the age of 18 years
  • your services are provided as an integral part of a time limited package of intermediate care
  • your services are defined as continuing health care
  • you use NHS funded sessional services

In addition, Walsall Council says you don’t have to pay if:

  • you get help from the Independent Living Fund
  • you are a carer receiving services under the Carers and Disabled Children Act 2000

Do I need to have an assessment?

If you choose not to have an assessment then you will be asked to pay the full amount towards your care. For more information about what you might have to pay contact us and ask for the Specialist Debtors Team.

What happens when I am assessed?

A representative from Walsall Council will arrange to come and see you. They will ask you to give them some information to help them work out what you should pay. You'll need to provide:

  • your personal details
  • who your next of kin is (spouse, children)
  • information about your benefits
  • bank statements
  • information about your pension
  • information about investments
  • the cost of your housing (mortgage or rent payments)
  • the cost of any disability related expenditure

What is disability related expenditure?

This means things you have to pay for because of your disability. These can only be taken into account if you receive what is called a qualifying benefit. If you have savings over the agreed limit you cannot claim any disability related expenditure.

The following things can be included as disability related expenditure:

  • excess heating costs
  • community alarms
  • excess metered water costs
  • special dietary requirements
  • gardening labour
  • extra loads of laundry
  • continence issues
  • special equipment maintenance
  • prescription charging
  • specialist holidays
  • mobility costs
  • extra personal care
  • cleaners
  • TV license
  • wear and tear of clothes and bedding

These are just examples. There may be other things which could be included.

What are qualifying benefits?

These are either disability living allowance or attendance allowance.

Are housing costs taken into consideration?

Yes. We deduct expenses in relation to:

  • rent
  • mortgage interest payments unless covered by Income Support

Are there any other things the assessment looks at?

Yes, the assessment looks at other things like:

  • savings and investments
  • any property you own but don’t live in

How is my payment worked out?

There is a four-step process to work out what people pay toward the costs of their care:

Step 1 - We work out the user's weekly assessed income

We look at all the money you have coming in and then look at what you have to pay out for housing and disability related expenditure.

Step 2 – We work out what people need to live on each week

We then work out what you need to live on each week by looking at what the basic government income levels are and we add a further 25% to this.

Step 3 - We work out the weekly cost of the user’s care

Then we look at what the cost of your care is each week including:

  • home care
  • day care
  • direct payments
  • community support packages
  • supporting people packages

Step 4 - We will work out what you can afford to pay

We calculate your weekly payment and tell you what you need to pay.

We will show you how we worked it out.

When do I find out what I have to pay?

You will not have to pay until you receive your first notification letter. This letter will tell you:

  • how much to pay
  • when to pay
  • how to pay
  • how we worked out your payment

How do I pay?

  • At the Post Office - using the payment card which will be sent to you shortly
  • By cheque - payable to Walsall Council
  • By Direct Debit
  • By Payzone

What should I do if I disagree with the assessment or need more information?

There is a review and appeals policy. If you do not agree with the amount you have to pay you can ask for a review. You will have to make a request in writing telling us why you disagree. We will then get in touch with you.

If you have a review and you still do not agree with what you have to pay, you can ask for an appeal. You have to write to us and tell us why you want an appeal. We will then get in touch with you.

If you have any concerns contact us.

What should I do if my financial circumstances change?

If there are any changes to your benefits or income you must inform us so that we can work out your payment.

What happens if I don’t pay?

There is an arrears policy which will start if you do not pay.

If you get behind with payments, contact us and we will sort out a payment plan for you.

If you need more information or would like to see a copy of the policy please contact us and ask for the Specialist Debtors Team.

Other helpful organisations

There are other organisations separate from the council that may also be able to help you:

If you would like this information given to you in another way, for example in large print, Braille, in another language please call 0300 555 2922.

Contact for queries regarding your charges

Financial Administration / Social Care Team
Corporate Finance
3rd Floor Civic Centre Zone 3H
Darwall Street

Phone: 01922 652242
Minicom: 01922 652715