This is a scheme which operates throughout the UK for parking concessions for people with severe walking difficulties who travel either as drivers or passengers. The scheme also applies to people who are registered blind or severely sight impaired, and people with very severe disabilities in both arms who regularly drive a vehicle but cannot operate or have considerable difficulty in operating all or some types of parking meter. The rules and criteria are set at national level by the Government but local authorities are responsible for managing the scheme in their area. Walsall Council is responsible for administering the scheme, assessment of applications and enforcement for residents and organisations in Walsall.
Please be aware the new Guidleines for Hidden disabilities will come into place on 31st August 2019.
Therefore, please note that until the new guidance comes into effect all applications will be assessed using the current guidance which is based on mobility.
There are two types of eligibility criteria:
Eligible without further assessment - You will need to provide copies of evidence to show which of the automatic criteria you qualify under. Please do not send original documents as documents are not retained and will be shredded by Walsall Council.
People who may be issued with a badge without further assessment are those who are more than two years of age and fall within one or more of the following categories:
- Receive the higher rate of the Mobility Component of the Disability Living Allowance; or
- Receive 8 points or more under the “moving around” activity of the mobility component of Personal Independence Payment (PIP); or
- Registered blind (severely sight impaired); or
- Receive a War Pensioner's Mobility Supplement (WPMS); or
- Have been both awarded a lump sum benefit at tariffs 1-8 of the Armed Forces Compensation Scheme and certified as having a permanent and substantial disability which causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking.
- Eligible subject to further assessment - you will need to demonstrate how you believe that you meet the criteria. Please provide copies of any relevant and current supporting information that you may have. We may need to arrange an appointment for you to have an assessment, this will be as soon as possible after we have received your application and supporting evidence
All evidence can be submitted by post, in person or someone on your behalf to Blue Badge Team Walsall Civic Centre, Darwall Street Walsall WS1 1TP.
We will use the information you provide to assess the eligibility for the issue of a Blue Badge. For more information on please see our privacy notice
People who may be issued with a badge after further assessment are those who are more than two years of age and fall within one or more of the following categories:
- Drive a vehicle regularly, have a severe disability in both arms and are unable to operate, or have considerable difficulty in operating, all or some types of parking meter; or
- Have a permanent and substantial disability that causes inability to walk or very considerable difficulty in walking.
You can check your eligibility and start the process of applying for your badge online on the GOV.UK website. (Please note: We no longer issue paper application forms.) Please click the icon below to complete your application.
We also will require the follwing on all applications.
Proof of your address, dated within the last 12 months:
You must provide a copy of one of the following as proof of your address:
- A utility bill, such as a gas, electricity, landline telephone bill or Bank Statement
- A formal letter from an Organisation such as your hospital, school or the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP)
- Medical Card
Proof of your identity:
You must provide a copy of one of the following as proof of your Identity: ( You will also need to provide this should you require an assessment)
- Birth certificate /
- adoption certificate
- Marriage // Divorce certificate
- A Valid Passport
- Civil Partnership / Dissolution certificate
- Valid driving licence
After the assessment
If your application is successful a badge will be posted directly to the address on your application form.
Payment of a blue badge
The cost of a Blue badge is currently £10.00 payable by card via telephone on 01922 653560 or in person at the Civic Centre.
Please note we do not accept cash. Please do not send cash in the post.
To pay for a Blue badge please click here
How long will it take to receive my Blue Badge?
If you are applying for the first time once we have received your completed application form and assessed your application we will issue the badge within 28 days. If you are renewing an existing badge we recommend you apply a minimum of 8 weeks before your badge expires to allow time for assessment of your application.
If your application is unsuccessful we will write to inform you and we will refund your payment.
If you disagree with the decision that has been made, or would like to comment on the way your application has been managed, the letter notifying you of the reasons why your application has been refused will give details of how to appeal against the decision.
Expired badges cannot be used. It is illegal to use an expired badge and there are heavy fines on conviction for their use after expiry.The badge holder must return the expired badge to Walsall Council.
If you wish to.
- Report a blue badge as lost / stolen
- Report the misuse of a blue badge
- Make an enquiry regarding blue badges
- Check the status of your application
Please contact us by telephone 01922 653560 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Blue Badge Team Walsall Civic Centre, Darwall Street Walsall WS1 1TP