Household Support Fund
The funding is an extension of the Household Support Fund.
How we plan to use the funds
We will use the funds to support those in need in Walsall borough in the best, most efficient way.
1. Make direct payments to households in receipt of council tax reduction and have children included on the claim. The payment will be £140 per child paid in 3 instalments during the year. You will not need to apply for this payment, we will issue these payments automatically. The first payment was in April for £20 per child, the other payments will be by the end of August for £70 per child and by 18th December 2023 for £50 per child. If you have received this payment in previous years we will continue to pay this money into the same bank account. If we do not hold your account details, we will add credit to your Council tax account which is refundable if required.
Additional support during school holidays is on our Holidays activities programme (HAF) pages.
2. Give additional help through Walsall’s Local Welfare Provision Scheme.
The process for households to make a direct application for support is below. If you are entitled to the direct payment mentioned above you do not need to apply for this. we will issue these payments automatically.
The criteria for any award is:
- aged 16 or over and a resident of Walsall
- suffering financial hardship. You will need to upload bank statements for all accounts held or your application will not be considered
- not receiving adequate support through another government scheme
- responsible for payment of rent, mortgage, gas, electric or water bills for the property where you live
- hold combined household capital totalling under £6,000
- for single applicants in gainful employment: have a total household income of under £25,000 gross. You will need to upload payslips to support your application
- for joint applicants in gainful employment: have a total household income of under £30,000 gross. You will need to upload payslips to support your application
Please allow 3 weeks for a decision to be made on your application, we will contact you if further information is required. All requests for food or gas and electric crisis situations will be dealt with as a priority. The Council dependant on fund availability may provide additional payments. You do not need to make further applications as these will be considered automatically during the year.
3. Offer proactive support through:
- transitional leaving care (care leavers) team
- early help team
- energy efficiency team
4. Give additional support for certain households in rented accommodation and in risk of eviction due to rent arrears
5. Provide additional debt advice support
How to apply
You can register, log in and apply online.