Access to information about the council and its services
The Freedom of Information Act means that you have a right to see, or request a copy of, a wide range of recorded information held by Walsall Council. This right was introduced in January 2005 but covers access to information produced by the council prior to this date.
A lot of council information, as listed in our Publication Scheme, is already available on our website, in information leaflets and other publications. The Freedom of Information Act gives you extra rights by allowing you to see, or have copies of information which might not otherwise be published.
Requests for information
Requests for information must be in writing (email or post) with a name and address for correspondence, this can be an email address and should include sufficient detail to enable us to locate the requested information. Our contact details can be found at the bottom of this page.
When we receive your request for information
- We will acknowledge and, if necessary, contact you so that we are clear about your request for information
- We will reply to you within 20 working days, saying whether or not we have the information you want and if there are any charges
- If we have the information and can release it, we will supply you with a copy of it, or a summary of it, or we will make it available for you to inspect
- If we cannot provide the information we will tell you why
- When you request information using the Act, there may be a charge for photocopying and postage if you want copies of the information to be sent to you. We will let you know if a charge applies to your request. For more information on fees and charges please see Information Requests - fees and charges
- Please note that some types of information may not have to be released under the Act, such as:
- Information about criminal investigations
- Information about commercial interests
- Personal information about other people
Further information about the Freedom of Information Act can be obtained from:
The Information Commissioner
If you have any other queries about Freedom of Information within Walsall Council please let us know.