This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it.

Landowner deposits


If you are a landowner, you can protect yourself against:

  • public rights of way coming into existence (Section 31(6) of the Highways Act 1980)
  • a parcel of land being registered as a village green or common (Section 15A of the Commons Act 2006)

based solely on a period of use by the public.

There is a charge for this.

How to apply

You can apply using a the CA16 application form on the government's website. This is a single application form for both highways statements and declarations, and landowner statements.

You can find further guidance on the DEFRA website, and in the documents below:

Download list

What you need to send us

Walsall Council is a highway authority. To make a deposit or declaration, you will need to send us:

  • your completed CA16 application form
  • a plan at a scale of not less than 6 inches to 1 mile (1:10,560 or larger), that shows:
    • the boundary of land to which the statement relates in coloured edging
    • which public rights of way you acknowledge over your land (and declare that you do not intend to dedicate additional ways)
  • a statement, setting out the land in question and admitting any ways that have been dedicated as highways over that land
  • statutory declaration
  • your payment

Contact us to make your deposit.


S31(6) deposit or declaration £126.00
S15A deposit or declaration £126.00
Combined deposit or declaration £252.00

If your application relates to multiple areas of land, additional notices may be required and you'll need to pay additional fees.

How to pay

We will confirm costs and contact you with details of how you can pay after we've received your CA16 application.

After your deposit

You'll need to follow up your original statement by lodging a declaration within 20 years from the date of deposit. This confirms or acknowledges any changes or additions to rights of way over the land.

Find out more about your PROW responsibilities as a landowner on

Published deposits

We have a statutory duty to publish notice and maintain a register of all S31(6) deposits and statements. You can view them by downloading the document below, or contact us.

Download list

Recent notices, deposits and declarations

There are no recent notices, deposits or declarations.

Rate this page