This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it.

Do I need planning permission?

You may need planning permission for certain types of building work on your home or business. There are two ways you can find out if you do:


Make use of our pre-application advice to speed up and simplify the planning application process.

Pre-application charges
Sevice code
Type of development
Fee (including VAT)





Other development

- Telecommunications

- Change of use

- Advertisements

- Tree works

- Listed building



Our how to pay page will take you through the payment process.


If your home or business is in a conservation area, or is a listed building, different planning rules may apply.

When you don’t need planning permission

Find out what type of work you’re allowed to carry out by checking your permitted development rights.

You may want to apply for a lawful development certificate. This confirms that an existing or proposed use of land or development is lawful for planning purposes. It can help overcome any issues when you sell your property.


If you start work without the correct permission or consent, you may be liable for enforcement action.