New Horizon fostering scheme
Find out how to become a New Horizon foster carer in Walsall
New Horizon is a fostering scheme that aims to help Walsall children currently living in children’s homes. These homes might be miles away from their family and friends. We want to support children so they can stay in Walsall borough and be cared for by local foster carers.
This scheme is different because:
- in most instances, each foster carer will be approved for only one child
- there is a careful matching process
- it has an individual support package
- it is child-focussed
Becoming a New Horizon foster carer
Our children are usually aged between 10 and 18, and are likely to have faced significant trauma, abuse or neglect.
We are looking for people with the skills and experience to provide them with therapeutic, empathetic care.
To be eligible, you must have:
- at least 2 years’ experience of caring for or working with children and young people whose behaviour can be challenging
- one carer in the household who is home-based
- understanding about trauma, abuse, neglect, autism and mental health issues
- with our support and training, the ability to support a young person who may need a lot of your time to help them regulate
- ability to work as part of a wider team of professionals
- adaptability and willingness to learn and put new approaches in place
- high level of empathy
- commitment and motivation to care for a child who might have had home breakdowns
- the time, patience and commitment to meet the individual needs of the child and make a difference to their life
In return, you’ll get:
- personalised training
- support from professionals
- up to £60k financial package
- exemption from paying council tax
You can find full details about responsibilities and benefits of the scheme by downloading the booklet below.
New Horizon fostering bookletDownload PDF (3.81 MB)
How to apply
Contact us to register your interest in becoming a New Horizon foster carer.