This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it.

Concerns about a school

If you have a concern the school, we would like to hear about it.

Whatever the nature of your concern, the school's support for your child will not change in any way. All concerns will be properly considered.

A school should be informed about a concern as soon as possible, so that it can be investigated.

Many concerns can be quickly resolved with goodwill, often by making early contact with the class teacher.

While you cannot always expect a school to agree with your point of view, your concerns will be properly considered. The school will take action if it can see how to stop the same problem from coming up again.

Your role as a parent or carer, and your views, are important. Walsall Children's Services and Walsall schools are committed to listening to, and working with, parents and carers.

How to make a complaint

Download list

Stage one - informal

Most complaints will be dealt with directly by the school.

If you have not already done so, you should raise this with a member of school staff. This could be the deputy head teacher, head teacher or another person named as the school contact. If you are not sure, you should phone the school to ask.

Depending on the seriousness of your complaint, the following information would be helpful:

  • the time and dates of any incidents
  • the names of any witnesses

When the school has enough informtaion, they will investigate your complaint informally. You will receive a response, which may be verbal or in writing. You may be invited to a meeting to further discuss your concerns and to see if a quick resolution is possible. Most complaints will be dealt with in this way.

If your complaint is about the conduct of the head teacher and cannot be resolved informally, you should contact the Chair of School Governors*  via the school.

* In academies there may be a different arrangement of governance and you my need to send your complaint to the Academy Trust or Academy sponsor.  You can ask the school/academy office for details.

Stage two - formal

After the informal stage, if you are still unhappy you may want to make a formal complaint.

You should write to the school, care of the head teacher. If necessary, your complaint will be passed to the Chair of School Governors*. At this point you may be asked for further information. The school governing body has a duty to consider all aspects of a complaint and to decide what action, if any, they need to take.

You will receive a response to your complaint from the school.

Stage three - formal

The final stage of the process usually involves a panel of governors.  You may be invited to attend a meeting and speak to the panel. Any documentation should be shared beforehand.  The meeting will normally be within 20 school days of receiving the complaint, and the outcome will be confirmed to you in writing within 10 school days of the meeting taking place.

What if I am still concerned?

After the above process has been followed, if you still have concerns, you can approach the Secretary of State at the Department for Education.

If you find new information to support your complaint, you should go back to the informal stage.

Who else can help?

Please contact us direct if you have a general complaint, or your issue is regarding:

  • Special Educational Needs (SEN)
  • National Curriculum
  • school admissions
  • exclusions
  • delivery of disability services

We will always do our best to resolve any issue you may have.

If you have concerns about collective worship or spiritual matters, in the case of denominational schools, you can contact the relevant body. The school can give you the contact details.

You may wish to discuss your complaint with one of your local Councillors.

Contact the corporate performance management team (Tellus).

If you still wish to take the matter further you should contact the Chief Executive at Walsall Council.