This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it.

Starting a food business

This information is for you if you're starting a new food business or taking over an existing business. The Food Standards Agency website includes useful guidance. Read guidance for running your own business for more information.

Register or approve your food business

By law you must register your business at least 28 days before opening. This law applies whether you start a new food business or take over an existing food business within the Walsall Borough.

You can make an online application.

This applies to most types of food business including:

  • those operated from home
  • mobile or temporary premises such as stalls and vans

If you use two or more premises, you will need to register them all. Once you have submitted this form, you must let us know of any changes within 28 days of the change(s) happening.

If you want to manufacture or handle products of animal origin (e.g. slicing and re-wrapping) and sell them to other businesses, your premises may have to be approved instead. If this is the case, it is an offence to operate without approval.

Find out if you need a licence

Pavement licence

If you want to place tables and chairs outside your premises on a public pavement, you will need to apply for a pavement licence.

Premises licence

You'll need a premises licence to sell and supply:

  • alcohol
  • regulated entertainment
  • late night refreshment (the sale of hot food or drink between 11pm and 5am)

Street trading license

You'll need a street trading licence/consent to sell food from a stall or van on the street.

Rate this page