Apply online for Housing Benefit and council tax reduction
Use our online service 24 hours a day, seven days a week from your phone, pc or tablet to:
- apply for council tax reduction
- apply for housing benefit
- view your housing benefit decision letters
- tell us about any changes to your circumstances, or if you’ve moved
- upload evidence for your new application or change in circumstances
- pay back an overpayment
Before you start
You'll need to have a valid email address to use the service.
You will get your citizen access benefits key (or tracking reference number) by email. If you can’t see it, check your spam folder.
Your key is case sensitive. You need to enter it exactly as it shows in your email to log in to your account.
If you forget your key or tracking reference number, select the 'retrieve a claim I have started' option and go to ‘forgotten your citizens’ access benefits key?’ at the bottom of the page.
You can contact the benefits team if you’re having trouble with any of the questions in the online service. We are not able to help with technical problems.
Council tax online
If you're a council tax reduction (CTR) or Housing Benefit customer, you can do even more by signing up for the council tax online service.
Instead of having to phone or write to us to get your details, you’ll be able to:
- view Housing Benefit and CTR claims
- view your account, balances, and instalment information
- request discounts or exemptions
- set up a direct debit, or make a payment
- tell us you have moved