Advertising on our website
We are currently working to identify and develop opportunities to generate additional income for the council. This will be used to support the delivery of key services.
Council Advertising Network (CAN)
As part of this, we're working with the Council Advertising Network (CAN) to run an advertising service tailored for public sector organisations.
They enable us to create new revenue streams from advertising placed on our website, and allow us to manage and monitor the adverts without the burden of managing the infrastructure or selling advertising space.
The advertising campaigns that appear on our website haven't been directly selected by us, but we do have an advertising policy (see below) in place that strictly prohibits certain types of advertisement.
By promoting adverts on our website, we're not in any way endorsing or recommending the advertisers' products or services, or any company or organisation.
Similarly, we don't accept any responsibility for errors, omissions, or for any consequences arising when visiting third party websites from the advertising links on our site.
We are committed to developing appropriate advertising opportunities that support our core activities either directly or indirectly. We encourage commercial relationships that are in-line with the delivery of our values and strategic priorities.
You can download the complete version of Walsall Council's Advertising and Sponsorship policy below.
Why are we offering advertising on our website?
- to offer a powerful marketing tool for local businesses to support the local economy
- to channel national advertising into Walsall Council, enabling investment to be channeled to key services
We will not sponsor or advertise any content that has, or may be thought to:
- influence the council or its officers in carrying out their functions
- gain favourable terms from the council in any business or other agreement, e.g. planning application or tendering process
- conflict with the council's values or strategic priorities
All advertising shall:
- fall within the guidelines laid out by the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA)
- uphold the rules laid out in the UK Code of Non-broadcast Advertising, Sales Promotion and Direct Marketing
- follow the Code of recommended practice on Local Authority publicity
- comply with the Town and Country Planning Act
- take note of Consumer Protection which seeks to protect consumers from unfair, misleading or aggressive marketing practices
Specific categories of organisations, products or services may not advertise or be advertised on our website. These are as follows:
- that do not comply with our advertising policy
- in financial or legal conflict with us
- involved in the production or sale of weaponry
- providing services that are detrimental to the local or global environment
- involved in discrimination, victimisation, harassment or any unlawful conduct prohibited under the Equality Act 2010
- manufacturing or distributing tobacco products
- manufacturing or distributing alcohol
- tobacco, e-cigarettes or vaping paraphernalia
- pornography and adult content
- gambling and betting services
- payday loans
- associated with unhealthy fast food (such as sugary drinks)
- promoting goods or services in direct competition to those provided by us
- contradictory to our legal functions and duties
Whilst every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of advertisements contained herein, Walsall Council cannot accept any liability for errors and omissions. Nor can the council accept any responsibility for claims made by advertisers. Their inclusion in adverts displayed on our website should not be taken as an endorsement by Walsall Council.
What are cookies and why do we use them?
We sometimes place small data files on on your computer. These are known as cookies. Most big websites do this too.
Our cookies help us:
- make our website work as you'd expect
- improve the speed/security of the site
- collect any personally identifiable information (without your express permission)
- collect any sensitive information (without your express permission)
- pass data to advertising networks
- pass personally identifiable data to third parties
- pay sales commissions
We collect web statistics automatically about your visit to our site. This information is used to help us follow browsing preferences so that we can improve our website. These statistics do not contain personal data and cannot be traced back to an individual.
Walsall Council's Advertising and Sponsorship policy
You can download the full policy.
Walsall Council Advertising and Sponsorship Policy (PDF)Download PDF (105.36 KB)
Tell us what you think
We'll be closely monitoring the advertisements on our site, and how they affect our residents' and customers’ experience. To give us your views about advertising on our website please email us.