John and Esther Venables were Mayor and Mayoress of Walsall in 1911 and 1912. During this time, it was decided that the Mayoress should have a chain of office.
The chain is engraved:
"This chain was presented by the Women of Walsall to the Corporation for the official use of the Mayoress for the time being. Esther Venables, Mayoress Eileen Jane Brace, Chairman of the Presentation Committee John Venables, Mayor Herbert Lee, Town Clerk"
The chain is 18ct gold. It is made up of ten Staffordshire knots, eighteen red enamelled "W" with crown, nine crowned hearts and centrepiece of castle and mace motif with bear engraved 1912 - 1913 in blue enamel. There are festoons of light chain at the front.
Two centre drop pendants are attached to the motif.
The first pendant is red enamel and rose diamond crown over rose diamond GvR initials and 18ct gold decorative surround.
The second pendant shows the Walsall coat of arms in blue, red and green enamel with decorative gold surround set with seventeen diamonds, fourteen rubies and twelve sapphires.
The weight of chain and pendants is 140 grams. It was handmade in the Italian cinquecento style by craftsmen employed by T. and J. Bragg of Birmingham.