Most council services are working remotely at present and therefore we are not currently organising work placements. Should the situation change we will update this message accordingly.
Thank you for your interest in a work experience placement with Walsall Council. By offering work experience placements at Walsall Council we aim to help you to:
- Find out more about the working environment within the Council
- Have an insight into the variety of careers within local government and help to inform your career choices
- Spend some time discovering which career is right for you
- Gain valuable work experience in a specific field to enhance your career development
How do I request a Work Experience Placement?
Firstly, take some time to read through the information below on the areas within the Council who are offering placements and a little about what they do. Next, fill in the work experience request form below and send it to the area you are interested in (contact details are included in each section).
Please note, if a particular area you are interested in is not listed below, this is because they are not currently offering placements. We do not hold waiting lists for placements and we cannot contact other service areas that are not listed below to request a placement on your behalf. Areas offering work experience placements:
ADULT SOCIAL CARE - LEARNING DISABILITIES AND COMPLEX NEEDS
Based at the Goscote Centre, Goscote Lane, WS3 1SJ, the centre delivers a range of activities to vulnerable individuals. These activities can take place within the centre or the local community. You would have the opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge around:
- Communicating/engaging with service users using a range of different methods (verbal and non-verbal)
- Planning, preparing and delivering a wide range of activities on site (music, sensory, bingo, cooking, IT etc)
- Planning, preparing and delivering community activities (swimming, Zumba, library, shopping etc)
- Being involved in special events and celebrations
- Understanding and being involved in delivering support and care to service users under staff supervision and guidance
For further information, please contact the Duty manager on 01922 655800.
ECONOMY AND ENVIRONMENT
The Employment and Skills Team can host work placements across the Economy and Environment directorate in a Business Support (Regeneration Assistant) capacity. Some of the duties of these placements would include:
- Providing general administative assistance to the Strategic Regeneration Service
- Helping to handle enquiries from customers, businesses and partner organisations
- Assisting with organising events and workshops
- Updating and maintaining records, files and databases
- Attending meetings and events
To request a placement in Economy & Environment, email Michael Folayan at Michael.Folayan@walsall.gov.uk or telephone: 01922 654353.
The Council employs a team of lawyers to provide legal advice to members and officers to support their day-to-day activities. We are able to offer a limited number of work experience places to individuals who are interested in a career in the legal profession. The placement will give you a general overview of the different areas of law and the opportunity to attend some court hearings as well as shadow lawyers in the office. To request a placement in Legal Services, email Sarah Read on Sarah.Read@walsall.gov.uk.
INTEGRATED FACILITIES MANAGEMENT
Please note that no placements are available within Integrated Facilities Management during the COVID pandemic 2020.
Integrated Facilities Management provide a varied service which covers the Maintenance Commissioning of corporate buildings and education sites, Contract Management, Commercial activity and Promotion of the service, Compliance and Curatorial services for the Council. For more information on the areas Integrated Facilities Management cover, please view: IFM Information Leaflet (Word 31KB)
If you would like a varied placement where you can learn all areas of our service, which will give you an insight into all aspects of Facilities Management please email Lisa Poppitt on Lisa.Poppitt@walsall.gov.uk or telephone 01922 650752.
- Placement working hours will be 8am – 4pm with 1 hour lunch break Monday to Friday
- IFM can only offer one work experience placement per week
- IFM are unable to accommodate placements during the months of March and April
Due to confidentiality and DBS issues, Children’s Services are unable to offer work experience placements. However, the service is happy to offer talks on careers in Children’s Social Care/Social Work to groups of interested students. Anyone interested in this should email Kim Ford: email@example.com
Recruitment Team, Walsall Council, 3rd Floor,
Civic Centre, Darwall Street, Walsall, WS1 1DQ
Telephone 01922 655673