At Walsall Trading Standards we are all too aware of the problems caused by rogue traders, especially in the building and home improvement sectors. In addition to the financial loss and distress caused to consumers, rogue traders also have a negative impact on the business of reputable traders in the areas where they operate.
We have developed the Walsall TraderRegister in response to these concerns. Walsall TraderRegister is not an approval scheme but it is a register of businesses in the Walsall area that will be promoted by Trading Standards and its partner agencies to consumers in the borough as a means of finding a reputable trader and avoiding falling victim to rogue traders.
Traders who become members of Walsall Trader Register have demonstrated a commitment to fair trading and have agreed to work within the code of conduct.
What is in the Code of Conduct?
The code of conduct includes:
- complying with all legal requirements relating to their business
- dealing with customers fairly and honestly
- not engaging in high-pressure sales techniques
- providing full details of the key terms of the contract to all customers and if requested this must be in writing. Where unexpected additional work becomes necessary to inform the customer immediately and obtain permission before continuing
- if approparite, giving extra assistance to vulnerable consumers to ensure that they fully understand the nature of the work to be carried out
- ensuring that all staff have adequate training to enable them to carry out their roles competently
- ensuring that any subcontractors the business use adhere to the Code of Conduct of the Walsall TraderRegister
For consumers who can't access the internet, you can contact us on 0808 223 1133 and we can provide a search over the telephone and post the search results to you.
If you want to discuss the Walsall TraderRegister further and find out more about how it can benefit your business, please call on 01922 653040 and ask to speak to one of the team.
Walsall Trading Standards are located at: