This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it.

Home to school transport policies and guidance

Walsall Council's transport policies in full, and extra information to help you understand what we do and what we need from you.


Download list

When to apply

We need to receive your application before 1 August. If you're successful, you will receive your bus pass in time for the new academic year in September.

You need to apply each year for bus passes, post-16 and 19 transport.  

You’ll also need to apply if you change school or educational environment, or move home.

Applications for children with SEND

The SEN team processes applications for children with special educational needs and/or disabilities (SEND). This may take up to 10 days because of the specialist nature of arranging transport for children with SEND.

If your child has an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan and is staying in the same school with no change of circumstances, you do not need to re-apply.

If there is a change of circumstances, you’ll need to tell the SEN team. We’ll then carry out a new transport assessment.

Email the SEN team.

Late applications

We always aim to get your travel assistance in place for the start of the academic term. We cannot guarantee this is if your application is late. It is up to you to get your child to school until you receive travel assistance.

Nearest suitable school

This is the nearest school to your home, with places available, that provides education suitable for the age, ability and any special educational needs of your child. It might not be one of your preferred schools.

Walsall Council's where I live function will help you locate your nearest school. This is a good place to start when you’re deciding which schools to apply to, because you may not be entitled to travel assistance to a school that is further away. 

We use QRoutes and Ordnance Survey maps to measure the statutory home to school walking distance.

Moving home

Moving further away does not automatically mean that you’re entitled to travel assistance. If your child’s current school is not the nearest suitable school to your new home, you may not be eligible to receive travel assistance.

Before you move, you'll need to give us evidence of your new address (for example, a letter from you estate agent) and tell us when you are moving.

It is your responsibility to get your children to get to and from school until travel assistance is in place and confirmed, or if travel assistance is refused by the council.

Lost bus pass

We do not provide free bus pass replacements, and advise you to keep the receipt or proof of purchase safe. 

If you have a free bus pass, you can protect it with PassProtect for £10.00. This will give you one free replacement, and any additional replacements for £5.00.

Without PassProtect, you may have one replacement for £15.00 per term.

You will need to contact National Express West Midlands to arrange your replacement.

Personal transport budget

We base your personal transport budget on the mileage from your child’s home to the school on the outward journey, and from the school to your child’s home on the return journey.

The council does not pay for any onward or return journey for the parent or carer. The current mileage rate (2020) is 45p per mile.  

If you travel over 5,000 miles transporting your child to school each year, you may be able to get an additional supplement.

Rate this page