This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it.

Apply for a Section 50 licence

You will need a Section 50 licence (also known as a road opening licence) if you intend to dig up a road, pavement or grass verge to install or replace service apparatus (such as gas pipes or electricity cables). There is a charge for this.

This licence is issued under Section 50 of the New Roads and Street Works Act 1991 (NRSWA).

How to apply

You must submit all your documentation at least 10 working days before the proposed start date of the works.

  1. Download the application pack

  2. Check you have the required documentation

    You'll need to include the following required documentation with your application:

    • a signed licence application form
    • 1/500 plan of proposed works
    • Proof of Liability insurance (£5M cover minimum)
    • qualification details and copy of NRSWA qualifications
    • form of indemnity
    • completed statement of compliance
    • completed Part N form
    • signed terms and conditions
  3. Pay your fee

    Make your payment

    You can pay by phone.

    Licence fees
    Section 50 licence One inspection unit Additional inspection units
    New apparatus £1,290 £120
    Existing apparatus £320 £120


  4. Submit your application

    Send your completed application, including the required documentation, back to us by email.

Rate this page