This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it.

High hedges

The right hedge can be an ideal garden boundary but the wrong hedge may bring problems.

If you are troubled by your neighbours hedge the best way to deal with the issue is to talk to them about it.

Calling in the council or going to court, especially without first approaching your neighbour yourself, might make matters worse.

More information on the legislation and how to approach your neighbour and agree a solution can be found on the Planning Portal and GOV.UK

If you are unable to come to a solution with your neighbour and you have made reasonable steps to do so you may submit a formal high hedge complaint to the council.

How to make a formal high hedges complaint

  • Download and complete the High hedges complaint form and return it to us by post or email, including any supporting documents (details can be found in the notes at the end of the form).
  • Pay the fee of £525.87
    • By credit or debit card: please phone us by calling 01922 652 620 with your card details.
  • There is no set time in which the Council is required to decide on a complaint.

Appeal a high hedges decision

  • You may appeal a High Hedges decision if you are the hedge owner and don’t agree with the Remedial Notice, or if you are the complainant and don’t feel that the notice goes far enough to solve the problem.
  • Appeals must be made within 28 days of the Remedial Notice being issued.
  • Detailed information is available from the Planning Inspectorate