This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it.

Health and safety at events

Ensuring that your event is run safely must be your first priority when planning an event.

    Download list

    When completing your Event Planning Application Form, you should consider:

    • safety on site
    • venue design
    • potential risks
    • crowd safety
    • fire/water safety
    • first aiders

    We work alongside the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) to make sure that events are run safely. HSE has the power to investigate any accidents and prosecute anyone found to have breached health and safety laws.

    Find out more about event safety on the HSE website.

    Risk assessments

    You can find advice and templates for risk assessments on the Health and Safety Executive's website. Your risk assessment should cover:

    • who could be hurt at your event
    • what you're already doing to limit the risk of accidents
    • what you still need to do to limit the risk of accidents
    • who will be in charge of safety
    • what actions need to be taken and by who

    You should also get copies of risk assessments completed by any companies or organisations who will be working or taking part in the event.

    Crowd safety and safe capacities

    You will need to plan for how many people you expect to come to your event. You should also plan for:

    • how people will get to your event (e.g., by highway or footpath)
    • how you will ensure your event is accessible for people with disabilities
    • what type of activities will take place
    • your event's layout and how people will move around it
    • how you will ensure safe evacuation in the event of an emergency

    You should estimate what the maximum safe capacity is to avoid overcrowding. You will also need to decide on whether you need security/marshals to manage this.

    The HSE has a guide for managing crowds safely if you would like to learn more.

    First aiders

    Usually indoor venues will have first-aid facilities already, but you will still need to carry out an assessment for your event. You should plan for how many first aiders or nurses you may need.

    If you're running a large event, you should reach out to the West Midlands Ambulance Service to discuss whether you need doctors, an ambulance control unit or an ambulance emergency equipment vehicle.

    Fire safety

    Depending on the size and type of event you're running, you may also need to complete a fire risk assessment.

    You should consider the fire safety of:

    • food stands and concessions
    • electrical equipment
    • flammable materials and products
    • poor waste management
    • arson

    If you're running a large event, you should contact the West Midlands Fire Service to let them know about about it. They can also give you guidance on:

    • fire risk assessments
    • crowd capacities
    • evacuations in the event of an emergency

    You can find more information about fire risk assessments through the Fire Safety Advice Centre.

    Catering and food safety

    If your event will sell food or include businesses that sell food, you will need a license.

    You should:

    • ensure that any businesses are registered with Walsall Council
    • consider the level of training staff have in food hygiene and safety
    • ask for copies of their food hygiene certificates and last Environmental Health inspection report

    You can find more information on our about health and safety for food businesses.

    Rate this page