Remembrance Day parades and services in Walsall
Across the borough, parades and services will be taking place this November on Armistice Day and Remembrance Sunday to pay tribute to the men and women of the armed forces.
In Walsall, the Remembrance Day parade through the town centre and service at the Cenotaph in Bradford Place will take place on Sunday 12 November 2023. Residents can come along and watch the parade and take part in the service, which is attended by military veterans and armed forces representatives.
The Mayor of Walsall, Councillor Chris Towe, will lead the Remembrance Day tributes on behalf of Walsall Council. The Reverend Canon Rob Hall, vicar of St Paul’s and St Luke’s in Walsall, will conduct the Service of Remembrance, and Sir John Crabtree OBE, Lord-Lieutenant of the West Midlands, will join others in laying a wreath.
“ It’s an honour to be serving as Mayor on this day. Remembrance Day is an important reminder of those we have lost, and it’s an opportunity for us to pay our respects as a community. “
The parade will begin at 10.25am in Hatherton Road and Hatherton Street and it will take a route past the Council House, and down Lichfield Street, Lower Bridge Street, The Bridge and Bradford Street, arriving at the Cenotaph in Bradford Place at 10.35am.
Music will be provided by the Staffordshire Band and the parade will feature representatives from 159 Theatre Support Company, Cheshire Regiment Association, Mercian Volunteers Regimental Association, Walsall Sea Cadets, Queen Mary’s Grammar School Combined Cadet Force and various uniformed youth organisations.
The service commences at 10.40am in the Cenotaph Garden and the service will be amplified, and a sign language interpreter will relay it for the hard of hearing.
The two-minute silence will be observed at 11am.
A bugler from the Staffordshire Band will sound ‘The Last Post’ and the ‘Reveille’, and rifle salutes before and after the silence will be delivered by reservist soldiers from HQ Company 4 Mercian.
Wreaths will then be laid at the Cenotaph.
At the conclusion of the service, the parade will return via the same route to the Council House, where the Mayor of Walsall will take the salute and mace bearers and standard bearers will flank the saluting base. The Mayor of Walsall will then place a wreath at the John Carless VC Memorial.
Further information is available on the Order of Service Programme, which will be available to view on the Council website shortly, along with information about any road closures.
Information about other services and parades taking place across the borough
On Friday 10 November 2023
- Barr Beacon War Memorial - Wreath laying ceremony of remembrance at the Barr Beacon War Memorial. This will be attended by the Mayor of Walsall, Councillors, members of the Barr Beacon Trust, veterans from the Mercian Regiment and local schools. The Mayor of Walsall will arrive at 10.45am and there will be a minute’s silence at 11am. Barr Beacon Park, Walsall, WS9 0QR
- Blakenall Peace Tree. Parade starting at 10.45am followed by service, wreath laying and minute’s silence at 11am. The Green, Blakenall Heath.
On Sunday 12 November 2023
- Aldridge War Memorial - Parade starting at 10.45am from Aldridge Community Centre to the Cenotaph. The Green, Aldridge, WS9 8NH.
- Bloxwich Cenotaph. Parade starting at 10.45am along the High Street with the British Legion, scouts, brownies, cubs and military all in attendance. Followed by service and a minute’s silence at 11am. High Street, Bloxwich, Walsall, WS3 3JT.
- Moxley Cenotaph. Service and wreath laying starting at 10.30am followed by a minute’s silence at 11am. Refreshments at Moxley People’s Centre after the service. Moxley Road, Junction with High Street, Moxley.
- Pelsall Cenotaph - David Frost CBE DL, Deputy Lord-Lieutenant for the West Midlands will be attending this service. The service in Pelsall commences at 10.50am at Pelsall War Memorial. Prior to this, there is a short parade of uniformed organisations from Pelsall Village Centre to the war memorial along Pelsall High Street. This starts at 10.40am. Supported by the T.P Riley Detachment Army Cadet Force. Norton Road/Station Road, Pelsall, Walsall. Short Heath Cenotaph. Parade starting at 10.30am followed by service and a minute’s silence at 11am. Willenhall, WV12 4JT.
- Streetly War Memorial. Parade starting at 10.45am followed by service and a minute’s silence at 11am at All Saints Church, Foley Road, East, Streetly, Sutton Coldfield, B74 3EX.
- Darlaston - Meeting at 10:15 by Darlaston library - 1 King St, Darlaston, Wednesbury WS10 8DE. The group will be walking from the library towards the church at 10:30 where there will be a service. Following the service the group will walk to the Darlaston War Memorial, Victoria Rd, Darlaston, Wednesbury WS10 8AB to lay wreaths and for prayers to be said.
- Willenhall Cenotaph. Service and wreath laying followed by a minute’s silence at 11am at Field Street Cenotaph. Followed by a wreath laying at the smaller cenotaph site at Portobello (junction of Somerford Place/The Keyway).
- Walsall Wood War Memorial - Parade starting at 2pm from Oak Park to St John’s Church on Walsall Wood High Street.