New Mayor of Walsall is elected
A new Mayor for the borough has been appointed following the annual Mayor Making ceremony in the Council Chamber in Walsall on Monday 22 May 2023.
The ceremony is one of the highlights in Walsall’s civic calendar, with the new Mayor receiving the robes and chains of office and naming the charities that will benefit from fundraising activities during their time in office.
Councillor Chris Towe was elected as Mayor of Walsall for 2023-24 and Councillor Anthony Harris was elected as Deputy Mayor for 2023-24. The new mayor takes over from Councillor Rose Martin, who has held the position since last year.
Following the ceremony, the meeting was adjourned until 6pm on Wednesday 24 May 2022, when the council meets to set the political leadership for the next 12 months and announce the Cabinet and appointments to the council’s boards and committees.
This Annual Meeting will take place in the Council Chamber and is available to view at www.walsallcouncilwebcasts.com
The agenda is available online at https://cmispublic.walsall.gov.uk/cmis/Home.aspx
“ I am very proud to be able to serve the borough of Walsall and I’d like to thank Councillor Rose Martin for all her hard work during her term of office, which included the Platinum Jubilee celebrations, the passing of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, and the coronation of His Majesty King Charles III.
“I’m looking forward to meeting residents and representing the borough for the next 12 months.
“My chosen charities for the year are Well Wishers, Acorns Hospice, Walsall Community Network and the Walsall arm of Santa’s Black Country Toy Appeal.
Notes to editors
- Seats in 20 wards were contested at the recent local elections on Thursday 4 May 2023. The results showed no change to the make-up of the council and the Conservatives hold 38 seats, Labour hold 20 seats, and there is one Independent and one non-aligned seat.
- Councillor Chris Towe was first elected to Walsall Council in May 2003 and has been a councillor for 20 years. He represents the Pheasey Park Farm ward. During his year as Mayor, he will be supported by his daughter Louisa as Mayoress. He has held many positions in the Council including Cabinet Member for Finance, Cabinet Member for Education and Skills and Chair of the Neighbourhood Scrutiny Committee and the Education Scrutiny Committee.
- Councillor Chris Towe is a Walsall boy, born and bred. He has enjoyed a long and successful career in business, holding many senior roles including the General Manger of EDA Sparkrite Limited, a well-known auto electronics company based in Walsall. He was also the Divisional Director of The Burton and District Chamber of Commerce and Industry and won East Staffordshire Businessman of the Year in 2006.
- The WellWishers charity supports the work of Walsall Healthcare NHS Trust by helping to fund equipment and resources to help patients and their families.
- Acorns Hospice provides specialist clinical care to children and a range of psychosocial services for the whole family.
- Walsall Community Network is a partnership of 15 community associations in Walsall who work together and make a difference to residents.
- Santa’s Black Country Toy Appeal provides birthday, Easter and Christmas presents to children across the borough.