By offering work experience placements at Walsall Council we aim to help you to:
- find out more about the working environment within the Council
- have an insight into the variety of careers within local government and help to inform your career choices
- spend some time discovering which career is right for you
- gain valuable work experience in a specific field to enhance your career development
To apply for work experience, complete the work experience request form below. Once complete, email it to the service area you are interested in (contact details are included in each section).
Work experience request form (Word)Download (348.17 KB)
We offer placements in the following services, subject to availability:
This placement is based at The All Age Disabilities (AAD) Hub, Goscote. The centre delivers a range of activities to vulnerable individuals. These activities can take place within the centre or the local community. You would have the opportunity to develop your skills and knowledge around:
- communicating/engaging with service users using a range of different methods (verbal and non-verbal)
- planning, preparing and delivering a wide range of activities on site (music, sensory, bingo, cooking, IT)
- planning, preparing and delivering community activities (swimming, zumba, library, shopping etc)
- being involved in special events and celebrations
- understanding and being involved in delivering support and care to service users under staff supervision and guidance
To request a placement in Adult Social Care, email ASCProviderservices@walsall.gov.uk
For information on work experience in DaTS, view the ICT work experience pack below.
To request a placement in DaTS, email: DaTSservicedesk@walsall.gov.uk
Note: DaTS offer 2 placements per year. Applicants must be studying DaTS (ICT) and preferably go to school in the Walsall borough.
ICT work experience master placement pack (Word)Download (1.7 MB)
Integrated Facilities Management (IFM) provide a varied service, including:
- new builds/refurbishment, and planned and reactive works
- maintenance of corporate buildings, leisure centres, education and social care buildings
- contract monitoring
- loading bay and portering service
- stewarding at council events
- bureau service monitoring
- food hygiene
- water, gas and electrical testing
- asbestos management surveys
- building compliance
Contact us to request placement in IFM.
Phone: 01922 650752
Placement working hours will be 8am – 4pm with a 1-hour lunch break, Monday to Friday.
IFM can offer one work experience placement per week, and cannot accommodate placements during March and April.
Due to confidentiality and DBS issues, children’s services are unable to offer work experience placements. However, the service is happy to offer talks on careers in children’s social care/social work to groups of interested students.
For more information, email ChildrensWorkforceDevelopment@walsall.gov.uk
Lichfield Street Hub contains the library, archives, an ICT suite and a multifunctional space providing services to a wide variety of customers. Work experience at the Lichfield Street Hub provides an opportunity for you to:
- find out more about the working environment within the Hub
- have an insight into the variety of opportunities within libraries and archives
- spend time discovering if such a career is right for you
- gain valuable work experience in this environment to enhance your career development
To find out more, view our work experience pack below.
We offer opportunities to all from school ages upwards and can accommodate a maximum of two placements at any one time.
Please email your completed work experience request form to: LSHLibrary@walsall.gov.uk
Libraries work experience pack (pdf)Download (4.34 MB)
The following links are useful sources of information related to work experience, careers advice and training: