This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it.

Support if you are at risk of homelessness

We can help you if you are homeless or at risk of being homeless. You may be legally homeless if:

  • you’ve no legal right to live in accommodation anywhere in the world
  • you cannot get into your home, for example your landlord has locked you out
  • it’s not reasonable to stay in your home, for example you’re at risk of violence or abuse
  • you’re forced to live apart from your family or people you normally live with because there’s no suitable accommodation for you
  • you’re living in very poor conditions such as overcrowding

We can offer you:

  • advice
  • emergency housing
  • support to find longer-term housing
  • help so you can stay in your home

The type of help you can get depends on:

  • your eligibility for help
  • if you’re in priority need
  • what caused you to become homeless

Eligibility for help

If you live permanently in the UK, you’ll usually qualify for help.

If you’re from abroad, you may not be eligible because of your immigration status. For more information, check Shelter’s guide on housing rights.

You may be in priority need if any of the following are true:

  • you or someone you live with is pregnant
  • ‘dependent children’ live with you (children under the age of 16, or under 19 if they’re studying full-time)
  • you’re 16 or 17
  • you’re under 21 and were in care between the ages of 16 and 18
  • we assess you as vulnerable, for example as a result of old age, disability or domestic abuse
  • you’re homeless after a flood, fire or other disaster

You may also qualify for Housing Benefit or Universal Credit to help with your housing costs. Find out about help with housing costs.

Get advice and support

If you need any advice or help, contact us. You can get further advice and support from Shelter England.

You may be able to get free legal advice for housing problems including if you’re being evicted or you’ve been made homeless. Check if you can get legal aid.

You can get advice from Civil Legal Advice, if you’re eligible, or you can search for a legal aid adviser.

Discretionary housing payment (DHP)

DHPs are short term payments that help cover your housing costs. If you’re finding it difficult to pay your rent, we might able to offer you a DHP.

If you want to find out more about Walsall Council is doing to help end homelessness, you can read our homeless strategy. If you'd like to help support homeless people, you can get involved with Change into Action.