This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it.

Occupational therapy

Occupational therapy can improve your ability to do everyday tasks if you're having difficulties. Occupational therapists work with people of all ages, and look at all aspects of daily life. They will:

  • look at activities you find difficult and see if there's another way you can do them
  • consider all of your needs - physical, psychological, social and environmental

This support often comes in the form of special equipment, or adaptations to your home. Examples of this are grab rails, level access showers and stair lifts. This support can make a real difference in the way you feel about your future.

Read more about occupational therapy on The Royal College of Occupational Therapists site.

Who we can help

If you're over 18 and have a long-term health condition resulting in disability, and need help to:

  • enter and leave your home
  • wash, bath and use the toilet
  • use living and sleeping areas
  • use food preparation and cooking areas
  • access some of the garden
  • reduce risks in your home related to your impairment

How to help yourself

You can visit the Disabled Living Foundation website which gives impartial advice, information and training on independent living.

You can also buy equipment, like:

  • adapted cutlery or cups
  • lever taps
  • riser-recliner chairs

Learn about financial help to adapt your home to meet your needs.

How the assessment works

We will talk to you first about your needs, and may:

  • provide advice or tell you about options that will help you to help yourself
  • suggest another service that may be better suited to what you need
  • arrange for equipment or minor adaptations that will help you to remain independent in your home
  • offer an appointment at an Assessment Centre

Sometimes you may need an Occupational Therapist (OT) or Occupational Therapy Aide (OTA) to visit you in your home.

Get an assessment

If you'd like to get access to occupational therapy, contact us to arrange an assessment.

Rate this page