This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it.

Empty homes in Walsall

The Housing Standards & Improvement team works with owners of empty properties to bring them back into use. We do this by:

  • providing advice and guidance
  • taking legal action, which can include compulsory purchase orders (CPOs), empty dwelling management orders (EDMOs) or enforced sale

There is a high legal threshold and significant resources go into securing any of these.

Report an empty property

Any resident can do this by emailing the Housing Standards & Improvement Team. We will start the process of identifying and contacting the owner to find out what action they intend in take to bring it back into use.

If you know of an empty home in Walsall that is:

  • attracting waste accumulation
  • attracting vermin
  • open to intruders

You should report this to the Community Protection team instead.

Please tell us:

  • the address of the empty home
  • a brief description of what is wrong with it (for example, smashed windows, rubbish dumped in front garden etc)
  • details about the owner, if you know who it is
  • your contact details

If you have a photo and want to email it to us, please try to reduce the size of the image so that it can be viewed easily.

What happens next

We are very grateful to all those who let us know about empty homes. We are not able to share confidential information, such as whether anyone is paying community charge for the empty home or the contact details of owners.

When we investigate empty homes we do checks with colleagues in other council sections and with the Land Registry. Sometimes the owner of the empty home may still be registered at that home itself but we have other ways to try to obtain the owners details.

If a home is open to intruders, we will ask the owner to immediately secure it. If they take no action, or we consider it is risk to the public, we will take action (carry out boarding-up ourselves) straight away.

We recognise that homes become empty for a variety of reasons and we want to work with owners of these properties to help bring them back into use as soon as possible.

Whilst we will negotiate with owners to bring their homes back into use, where legal action is necessary we will take it.