Walsall children's social care
Walsall is a great place to practice social work. We strive to provide the best services and outcomes for our children, young people and families.
We have been graded as GOOD by Ofsted - read the full inspection report.
We have introduced the Family Safeguarding Model, where social workers work alongside specialist adult practitioners. We aim to keep children safe in their families through providing timely help, protection and support.
The model has been in place for over a year, and Ofsted have reported that they saw exceptional practice from social workers. This helps children’s experience improve, and supports families to make positive improvements in their lives. As a result:
- our numbers of children supported by a child protection plan have reduced by half
- children entering care have reduced by 30%
This is just one of the new and innovative approaches we are implementing to do things differently.
We want our staff and management teams to reflect the diversity of the communities we serve in Walsall. We are committed to promoting equality and anti-discriminatory practice.
We welcome applications from:
- people of all cultures, races, ethnicities and religions
- people of different genders, ages, and sexual orientation
- people with disabilities
We recognise unique perspectives and contributions.
There are lots of exciting ways to progress your career in Walsall. We are looking for newly qualified and experienced social workers to join our children and families social work teams. We want you to share your expertise and knowledge and make a difference for the children of Walsall. In return, we will offer you support, recognition and a commitment to help you learn and grow.
As a practitioner, as you gain experience you'll be able to access specialist training, for example:
- becoming a practice lead with the Centre for Expertise in Child Sexual Abuse
- completing Achieving Best Evidence training
- ongoing Restorative Practice coaching
We also have a comprehensive career development offer. This includes:
- our ASYE programme – considered an example of good practice
- our core offer for all social workers, practice educator and team manager programmes
We have introduced access to clinical supervision for social workers and social work teams. This helps to:
- promote wellbeing for social workers
- enhance practice
- lead to a healthier and supported workforce
We would like to share with you:
- how we are developing this new model
- the responses we have had
- how practitioners are utilising this support to date
This is a great time to join us. To find out more, contact us.