This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it.

Apply for a sex shop and cinema licence

You need a licence to run a sex shop in the borough. A sex shop is any business selling sex toys, books or 18 rated videos and DVDs or other things connected with sexual activity.

You also need a licence to run a venue where members of the public pay to watch explicit films rated 18.

You do not need a licence if you provide such entertainment on fewer than 11 occasions per year, with at least a calendar month between each occasion.

For more information you can read the Local Government (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 1982 or visit the website.

Apply for a sex establishment licence

To apply for a sex establishment licence you must:

  • be at least 18 years old
  • not be disqualified from holding a licence
  • complete an application form
  • place a notice in a local publication to appear within seven days of making the application
  • display a notice outside your premises
  • pay a fee

You can find a template with the application form.

Download list

Fees list
Type Cost
Grant £4,500.00
Renewal £2,500.00
Transfer £1,500.00
Variation £1,500.00

How to pay

You can pay by sending a cheque made payable to Walsall Council, or you can contact us to make a payment by telephone.

What happens next

Your application will go through a statutory consultation period. You will be notified of any representations made to the application. If it is a new application we will send someone to visit your premises.

If you do not have a licence

We will monitor premises and make visits to check licensing. Failure to comply may result in a prosecution.

Contact us

If you require any additional information, including details on a transfer or variation of the licence, contact the Licensing Team.

Rate this page