This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it.

Premises licences for gambling

The Gambling Act 2005 came in effect in April 2007. We are responsible for granting premises licences for premises where gambling takes place.

A premises licence will be required for the following types of premises:

  • betting shops
  • casinos
  • adult gaming centres
  • family entertainment centres
  • bingo halls

Before applying for a premises licence, you must hold or be in the process of applying for an operator's licence. You can apply for an operator's licence on the Gambling Commission website.

Apply for a premises licence

Walsall Council is a licensing authority. You can apply for a premises licence by sending us:

  • an application
  • the fee
  • a plan of the premises

You must also submit a copy of your application the responsible authorities. You can download the list of responsible authorities and their contact details below:

You must publish a notice of your application. You must publish this notice in three ways:

  1. Display outside the premises for 28 consecutive days in a place where it can be read.
  2. Publish in a local newspaper within 10 days of submitting the application to the licensing authority.
  3. Send to all responsible authorities within 7 days of the application being submitted to the licensing authority.

If you do not have a licence, you may be prosecuted.


You can download a list of our fees below. You should pay these by cheque and send them to Walsall Council.

What happens next

Once you've submitted your application to our team, it will go through a 28 day consultation. We will then let you know if you've been successful.

You do not need to renew your licence, but you will need to pay an annual fee. This is due on the anniversary of when your licence was granted.

Download list