This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it.

Hazardous household waste

Hazardous household waste is items such as:

  • paint or any other solvents
  • pesticides and garden chemicals
  • liquid chemicals such as bleach and cleaners
  • gas bottles
  • fluorescent lighting tubes
  • electrical items operated by a plug or batteries
  • car batteries and engine oil
  • asbestos

You cannot dispose of hazardous waste in your general household waste bins. Small quantities of hazardous waste can be taken to one of the household waste recycling centres.

Disposing of asbestos

The disposal of asbestos waste is strictly controlled. If you are a resident of Walsall and need to dispose of asbestos from your home, you will need:

  • specialist asbestos disposal bags
  • a permit

The household waste recycling centre (HWRC) at Fryers Road in Bloxwich will only accept correctly bagged material accompanied by a valid permit.

You'll also need to provide:

  • proof of residency (for example, a driving license or council tax bill)
  • details of the vehicle that will be used to transport the asbestos

Contractors or traders cannot take the asbestos to the HWRC on your behalf.

Get your specialist asbestos disposal bags

Asbestos must be double-bagged into specialist disposal bags that you must buy from us. You should put the waste into the red bag first, then put the red bag inside the clear bag.

The bags are 219cm x 125cm and cost £6.46 for a pair. Bags can be purchased by calling general enquiries. Once purchased, you will be advised of a suitable time to collect your bags from the Clean and Green Services Environmental Depot

Arrange your permit

You'll also need to contact us to arrange your permit, which:

  • enables you to take the asbestos to Fryers Road HWRC
  • will only be issued to the resident of the address where the asbestos originates
  • cannot be issued to contractors or traders carrying out work on your behalf

Rate this page