Homebreadcrumb separatorBusinessbreadcrumb separatorLicensing and Regulationbreadcrumb separatorStreet collections

Street collections

Licence summary
Any person making an appeal to the public on behalf of a charitable cause, by way of collection in a public space, to give money or other property, will require a permit from the council to do so.
A charity is entitled to two collections per year, each collection lasting a maximum of one day.
It is not the policy of the council to permit more than one organisation to collect in the same area on the same date.
Collection dates can be provisionally booked by telephone, however these dates will only be reserved for 14 days. If an application form and relevant documents are not received within this time, the booking may be re-allocated to another organisation.
There is no fee payable, however the permit holder is required to publish an account of the proceeds at their own expense.
If you wish to apply for a permit, an application should be made to the council no later than one month before the collection is due to take place.
Regulation summary
Application evaluation process
No provision in the legislation.
Will Tacit Consent apply?
Yes. This means that you will be able to act as though your application is granted if you have not heard from the local authority by the end of the target completion period
Apply online
Notify us of the result of a charitable collection
Downloadable forms
Failed application redress
Please contact us in the first instance.
Licence holder redress
Please contact us in the first instance.
Consumer complaint
We would always advise that in the event of a complaint the first contact is made with the trader by you - preferably in the form a letter (with proof of delivery). If that has not worked, if you are located in the UK, will give you advice. From outside the UK contact the .
Other redress
E.g. about noise, pollution, etc. Also should one licence holder complain about another.
Trade Associations
Public registers
Public registers are available to view at our office between 9.30am – 4.30pm Monday to Fridays
To view our public registers please contact the licensing department to make an appointment on the details below.
Contact us
Licensing Unit
Regulatory Services
Walsall Council
Civic Centre
Darwall Street
Telephone 01922 653050
Email licensing@walsall.gov.uk