This is a new service - your feedback will help us to improve it.

Staying safe in your home

How to rent a safe home

The government in July 2018 produced a new handy FREE guide for tenants. We encourage all tenants to read through this before renting a house or flat.

You can find information on the How to Rent a Safe Home - A guide for current and prospective tenants in England  pdf.(1.41MB) about renting a safe home.

External wall insulation to single and two storey dwellings undertaken as part of schemes assisted by the council.

Over the last 5 years the council has assisted many owner occupiers to secure external wall insulation (EWI) for their principally 2 storey homes. With the recent Grenfell Tower tragedy we wanted to provide an update to residents on the ‘cladding’ that has been used in the EWI schemes.

Each EWI scheme supported in full or part (either by grant or loan) by the council:

Required and received the relevant Building Regulations Approval;

Required and had a relevant BBA Agrément Certificates of compliance for the material used for insulation. The Agrément Certificates are recognised by building control, government departments, architects, specifiers and industry insurers. It’s a mark of quality, safety and reliability that provides reassurance of the product’s fitness-for-purpose.

The council is reviewing all building regulations applications received since 2000 which relate to cladding of buildings and are prioritising those properties where sleeping takes place (dwellings, hotels, institutions etc). The priority for the review is high-rise (18 metres or higher), medium rise and low rise premises. As the list is quite large, that piece of work will take some time to complete.As a separate check a range of the low rise schemes have been reviewed and those checked so far did not contain Aluminium Composite Material (ACM) which is the material that was used at Grenfell Tower.

West Midlands Fire and Rescue Service wish to remind all residents that if they are concerned about fire safety in their own home that they can contact them direct for a Safe and Well Check which includes a home fire safety check. Their contact number is: 0800 389 5525.

Important information regarding Smoke and Carbon Monoxide

Housing Standards

The Housing Standards and Improvements service receive a range of complaints from private tenants about general disrepair to their homes property and/or landlord/tenant issues.
The Council seeks in line with national guidance and best practice to resolve issues informally without the need for formal action such as the service of statutory notices and/or prosecution.

Homes are inspected to determine if there are any risk to the tenants under the Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS).
The HHSRS rates 29 hazards such as damp and mould, crowding and space and personal hygiene, sanitation and drainage.
These hazards are rated to give a quantifiable hazard score.

Depending on the score the hazard will fit into one of two bands:

  • Category 1 hazards; or
  • Category 2 hazards.
  • Category 1 hazards are the more severe hazards which warrant a more rapid response.
  • Condensation and damp