Transfers to secondary schools in September 2021
As your child was born between 1 September 2009 and 31 August 2010 he or she is due to transfer to a secondary school in September 2021.
Walsall participates in an Inter-Local Authority (LA) Co-ordinated Admission Scheme along with a number of local authorities in the Midlands, including: Birmingham, Dudley, Sandwell, Staffordshire and Wolverhampton.
The scheme allows you to express preferences for up to five secondary schools, rank them in order of preference and give reasons for your preferences, if appropriate (e.g. medical or social). The Walsall on-line application portal allows you to apply for a place at any secondary school in or outside the borough, with some exceptions.
The Information for Parents Booklet below tell you how to apply for a place for your child at secondary school. It also explains what happens if a Walsall school has more applications than there are places available. The admission criteria for every Walsall school are detailed in the school information pages within this booklet. If you intend to name a school outside Walsall, it is important that you obtain a copy of the maintaining local authority’s ‘Information for Parents’ booklet/leaflet, or visit the local authority’s website, which will detail the admission criteria for the school you would like your child/ren to attend. Please take the opportunity to find out as much as you can about the relevant schools before you express your preferences – The Admissions and Appeals Team is here to help you.
- If you live in Walsall, please complete your on-line application by 31 October 2020.
- If you live in Walsall and your child attends a primary school outside Walsall, or a private school in Walsall, please complete your on-line application by 31 October 2020.
- If you live outside Walsall, you should submit an application through your home local authority listing all of your preferred schools.
The national offer date for secondary school admissions is 1 March (or the next available working day).
Parents who submit an online application for a secondary school place and request an email notification will receive details of the outcome of their child's application by email on Monday 1 March 2021. The emails will be produced and sent out by an automated process over the course of the day on Monday 1 March 2021.
Make a late application
The online portal closed on 31 October 2020.
If you apply after this date, or change the name or ranking of a school, we will process your application as late. It is unlikely that you will get a place at one of your preferred schools.
You can make a late application if:
- your child was due to start year 7 in September 2020 and you have not yet made an application. We cannot accept new applications after 11 December 2020. You will need submit a mid-year application, available from January 2021, instead.
- your child is due to start year 7 in September 2021 and the deadline of 31 October 2020 has passed. You will be able to submit your application between 1 November and 12 December 2020.
Make a late application for year 7
Download our current admissions booklet