The Early Years SEN Team consists of three Specialist Teachers and three Senior Learning Support Practitioners who have experience working with children with Special Educational Needs.
We offer a wide range of support to children with Special Educational Needs from birth. Support may take place in a variety of different settings i.e. homes, assessment groups, pre-school settings, day nurseries and transitions into schools.
Alongside Team around the Child (TAC), we support Multi-Disciplinary Assessments of children under 5 years old and signpost to other partners to ensure we are meeting the needs of Early Years Children in Walsall.
The team works with Walsall Child Development Centre and has regular ongoing contact with support services, i.e. Speech and Language Therapists, Physiotherapists, Occupational Therapists, Paediatricians, Health Visitors and other agencies.
To support, develop and challenge Inclusive practice for Early Years Children from Birth to five, with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities across Walsall.
- Through the Area SENCo Role and Practitioner Assessments, we offer advice and support to Early Years provisions on all issues relating to the inclusion of children with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities including:
- Advice on an inclusive curriculum and differentiated learning environments
- Face to face support through the consultation process in relation to identified individual children (always with parent’s written consent)
- Play-based assessments to inform teaching, learning and next steps
- Support and advice on the Early Years Funding Pathways and the Education Health And Care Plan process (EHCP, Statutory Assessment)
- Supporting staff, individual children and parents through direct teaching, modelling techniques and strategies and signposting to other agencies e.g. SENDIAS, Admissions
- Attend TAC reviews, contribute to discussions on your child’s progress and give advice in formulating SEN Support Plans and fulfilling the requirements outlined in the SEND Code of Practice as part of the SEN graduated response.
- Facilitating/providing a range of bespoke or core training opportunities
- Giving advice around appropriate differentiated early attention toys, specialist equipment and resources
Early Years SEN Team (EYSEN)
Walsall Children’s Services, Tel: 01922 652860
Educational Development Centre, Pelsall Lane, Rushall, Walsall, WS4 1NG