The key responsibility for the service is to ensure that all children in Walsall have access to high quality alternative provision. We aim to ensure that every child receives an excellent education that provides them with the knowledge, skills and resilience to fulfil their potential.
- We want our schools to create a positive culture and behaviour management systems that support children to remain in or return to their schools.
- We are responsible for placing children in alternative provision for behavioural, health or other reasons and for planning how the placement will best meet the child’s needs and support their transition into a mainstream, special school, medical placement, meaningful employment or education or training at 16.
- Alternative Provision should not be viewed as a provider of last resort. Alternative Provision settings should enable children to make rapid progress and go on to gain qualifications or return back into mainstream or special schools.
- To make sure that the allocation of resources and personnel deployed to support and challenge schools is targeted to where there is greatest need.
- The Local Authority currently oversees the alternative provision for all KS4 permanently excluded pupils who attend The New Leaf Inclusion Centre.
- KS4 Learners accessing Alternative Provision remain on the roll at the New Leaf Inclusion Centre during their time at their alternative provision Settings. The Alternative Provision service however, is managed by the Alternative Provision Team within the LA.
- We undertake regular assessments of all our alternative provision providers within our AP Directory. The LA assess the following aspects of the providers using internal and externally sourced inspection teams for; Health and Safety, Safeguarding and Teaching and Learning.
- Providers who do not meet the required standards are notified and the Local Authority will withdraw students and place them in suitable Alternative Provision. The LA has and maintains an Alternative Provision Directory of around 15 providers that have undertaken the above checks and processes. These providers offer a wide variety of academic and vocational courses that the students can enrol on.
Please contact Nick Perks – Quality Assurance Teams Manager. firstname.lastname@example.org