School visits to the Leather Museum
Our topics and activities have been tailored to complement the National Curriculum, particularly history, but we also support British Values, design, literacy and science.
We seek to make learning interactive, multi-sensory and fun. Our provision supports KS1 and KS2, as well as Early Years and Special Educational Needs (SEN).
On our standard tour children will experience genuine, hands-on leatherworking activities in our authentic workshops. The tour, including keyring making, is free of charge to schools that are still linked to Walsall Council, and costs just £1 per child for all other schools.
We offer outstanding value for money and the standard of our work is accredited. We hold the Sandford Award for excellence in museum education.
In conjunction with Walsall Community Transport, we offer affordable transport to the museum. We also provide a schools' room, plentiful toilets, a child-friendly shop, coach and mini bus parking, a garden, risk-assessed activities and expert staff, who can offer years' of experience, both of leathercraft and children.
- We have a broad focus: national history: Romans, Vikings, Saxons, etc., and local history: Sister Dora, the Victorians, the Zeppelin raid upon Walsall, etc.
- We offer a discount to federated schools who jointly book to visit us
- We offer children fun and curriculum enrichment
- We will open early if possible
- We can relieve your stress. We have plenty of toilets, can provide goody bags by arrangement, have a school room, bag and coat provision and rainy day sheets. We submit our plans to you prior to the visit and alter them if you wish.
- We always try to meet your desired learning outcomes.
“The pupils have thoroughly enjoyed working with the fantastic skilled adults who led the day. They were completely focussed and engaged in the activity, which was broken down into small steps, enabling all the children to achieve. Some children who find it extremely difficult to focus on activities for more than 10 minutes have been completely engrossed.”
Croft Street School, Year 1
Booking a school visit
The museum opens at 10am Tuesday to Saturday (closed on Sundays and Mondays). Teachers are very welcome to make preparatory visits to the museum to discuss their plans and the range of activities available - please contact the Assistant Curator.
School Visit booking form (pdf 951KB)
Examples of our curriculum-linked activities
A timeline of Walsall from the Domesday book to present day.
We can offer goody bags to an agreed value prior to a visit. This helps to make lunchtimes stress-free for teachers and helpers. Prices start from just £2 per child.
Schools are very welcome to use our shop, after all, it is great for developing a child's numeracy skills. We have a fantastic range of affordable goods to choose from.
Economical transport for schools
Walsall Community Transport, a non profit making organisation, is able to offer affordable transport to schools:
* Self-driven minibus (15 person capacity, 50 mile radius): £53.00
* Minibus with driver (50 mile radius): £100.00
* Fully accessible minibus, self driven, (50 mile radius): £53.00
* Fully accessible minibus, with driver (50 mile radius): £100.00
* 32-seater coach, with driver: £155.00
Walsall Leather Museum
Littleton Street West