School visits to the Leather Museum
- Our school activities are tailored to complement and enrich the National Curriculum. Our focus is History, but we also support British Values, Design, Literacy and Science.
- Our friendly staff have years of experience, both in leathercraft and working with children.
- Our provision supports KS1 and KS2, Early Years and Special Educational Needs (SEN).We aim to make learning interactive, multi-sensory and fun.
- We offer sessions supporting national history (Romans, Vikings, Saxons), local history (Sister Dora, Victorians, Walsall Zeppelin raid), and more.
- The standard of our work is accredited, and we hold the Sandford Award for excellence in museum education.
- Standard tour (including hands-on leatherworking activities and keyring-making) is free to schools that are still linked to Walsall Council, £1 per child for all other schools.
- In conjunction with Walsall Community Transport, we offer affordable transport to the museum.
- We provide: a schools' room, toilets, child-friendly shop, coach and mini bus parking, garden, risk-assessed activities, bag and coat provision, and rainy day sheets. We can provide goody bags by arrangement, and can open early if needed.
- Discounts are available to federated schools who jointly book to visit us.
“The pupils have thoroughly enjoyed working with the fantastic skilled adults who led the day. They were completely focussed and engaged in the activity, which was broken down into small steps, enabling all the children to achieve. Some children who find it extremely difficult to focus on activities for more than 10 minutes have been completely engrossed.”
Croft Street School, Year 1
Booking a school visit
Teachers are welcome to make preparatory visits to the museum to discuss their plans and the range of activities available - please contact the Assistant Curator.
School Visit booking form (pdf 951KB)
Schools are very welcome to use our shop - after all, it is great for developing a child's numeracy skills! We have a fantastic range of affordable goods to choose from. We can also offer goody bags to an agreed value prior to a visit. Prices start from £2 per child.
Economical transport for schools
Walsall Community Transport, a non profit making organisation,is able to offer affordable transport to schools:
* Self-driven minibus (15 person capacity, 50 mile radius): £53.00
* Minibus with driver (50 mile radius): £100.00
* Fully accessible minibus, self driven, (50 mile radius): £53.00
* Fully accessible minibus, with driver (50 mile radius): £100.00
* 32-seater coach, with driver: £155.00
Walsall Leather Museum
Littleton Street West