Walsall Council collects and uses sensitive information known as special category data, to provide some services. Special category data is information which is deemed particularly sensitive. The following information is classed as special category data:
Race, Ethnicity, Political Opinion, Religious or Philosophical Beliefs, Trade Union Membership, Genetic and Biometric Information, Health, Sexual Orientation and Criminal records.
When using your information we must make sure that we have a lawful reason to do so. The reasons the Council will primarily use for the processing of your special category information are:
· where it is necessary in order for us to carry out our obligations in relation to employment and social security and social protection law;
· where it is necessary for establishing, exercising or defending a legal claim;
· Where it is necessary for the purposes of preventive or occupational medicine, for assessment of working capacity of an employee, medical diagnosis or for the provision and management of health or social care systems and treatment – for example much of the special category information we use as part of our Adult Social Care and Children’s Service’s will be on this lawful basis.
· Necessary for reasons of public interest in the area of public health;
· Necessary for reason of substantial public interest.
· Necessary for archiving purposes in the public interest, scientific or historical research;
In circumstance where none of the above lawful reasons apply we will only collect and use and or share your information with an appropriate legal and justified reason or your explicit and informed consent. Please note you can withdraw you consent to this processing at any time by contacting us at our main address (detailed below)
For more details please see the directorate/service area privacy notices on our website.