Walsall Council is working with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) to contact businesses in the borough to make sure they are COVID-19 secure and to help tackle coronavirus.
During the checks, businesses will be given advice and guidance from Regulatory Service officers and the HSE on how they can manage COVID-19 risk to protect their employees, customers and visitors. If businesses are not fulfilling their legal requirements the council can undertake appropriate enforcement action.
Being COVID-secure means that businesses need to put measures in place to manage the risk and protect workers and others from coronavirus.
HSE and Council officers have identified these common issues arising across a range of sectors including;
- failing to provide arrangements for monitoring and supervising
- maintaining social distancing
- failing to introduce an adequate cleaning regime, particularly at busy times of the day,
- provision of adequate ventilation.
Paul Rooney, Manager of Regulatory Services at Walsall council said:
“Our regulatory service officers have worked throughout the pandemic to support Walsall businesses to understand how they are managing risks in line with their specific business activity.
“Becoming COVID-secure should be a priority for all businesses in the borough, they have a legal duty to protect their staff, customers and others from harm. This includes taking reasonable steps to control the risk and protect people from coronavirus.
“It also requires teamwork to becoming COVID-secure so I would urge businesses to work with their employees when implementing any changes. You are not alone, support is available from Regulatory Services, don’t wait until someone catches COVID-19 before you become COVID-secure.”
Notes to editors
- Throughout the pandemic Walsall Council has worked closely with Walsall businesses to support them to operate safely in these uniquely challenging times.
- In order to supplement the Council’s existing support offer we will be working collaboratively with the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) to carry out COVID Spot Checks.
- Any business may be visited which means businesses of any size, in any sector can receive an unannounced visit to ensure they are COVID-secure.
- All businesses are required to have controls in place to manage the risk and protect workers and others from coronavirus. Further information about managing the risk of coronavirus and crucial Covid secure controls can be found by following this link: www.gov.uk/guidance/working-safely-during-coronavirus-covid-19